Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Short Scale Bass Blog

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by hooky_marr, Mar 12, 2006.

1. hooky_marr

hooky_marr Supporting Member

Purely for fun (and if it helps anyone looking for information) I've started a blog all about short-scale basses:

http://shortscalebass.blogspot.com

At the moment I have a few posts up about current commercially available short scales (and will continue to post as time permits), but I'd like to cover vintage and out-of-production models as well. I might consider "one-off" custom basses as a spotlight feature as well.

I'm not making money off this (just AdSense to pay for bandwidth), and I'm maintaining an independent editorial focus, so I retain the right to be snarky if I want :D

I invite TalkBass' knowledgeable readers to participate by suggesting instruments that I should post about, and to add their own views in the comments.

Likewise, manufacturers and luthiers with short-scale basses to plug can send me PR materials and links.

correspondence to: shortscalebassblog at gmail dot com.

2. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Good idea. I've been a short-scale fan for a while, and have bought and sold quite a few. I'll contribute some reviews/comments when I find time.

3. SBassman

SBassman

Jun 8, 2003
    Northeast, US
    I just visited. Great job.

Two others basses to cover at some point:

- Fender P Bass Jr.
    - Samick Corsair

and if you venture into customs:

- Landing

4. Yggdrasil

Yggdrasil

Aug 16, 2001
    Toronto/Buffalo
    Nice idea -

BTW , the Mustang reissue is not MIM - it's Made in Japan.

Frank (current stable : Alembic Stanley Clarke; Alembic Series 1 Short Scale; Gretsch Broadkaster; Guild Starfire Reissue w. Dark Stars; Rob Allen Mouse lined Fretless ... and one long scale : Jack Casady Sig. :)

5. hooky_marr

Thanks for the support and the tips, guys.

In fairness to TalkBass, we can move future discussion over to the blog - I'll do some open threads from time to time, and of course, people can email me at shortscalebassblog at gmail dot com.

I'm definitely going to cover the Landing basses. I've had some off-and-on email correspondence with the guy behind them.

The P-Bass Jr. looks interesting, I'd seen the Strat Jr but dismissed it as a toy guitar at first. Then again there were 22" Mustang guitars at one point too, weren't there? Anyone know where that's made - in the USA, Mexico or elsewhere?

6. since were talkin about short scales how is the Eb series from epiphone??? been wanting to play one because i want to make it a beater bass but cant find one to see how it really is

7. is the Hamer short-scale - 30.5 inch scale and two humbuckers...pretty nice burst finish in addition to some solid colors. Pretty nice tone machine as well at its price point.

8. :cool: Just to mention two more: Birdsong; and, Jamesbasses.

9. watspan

watspan Supporting Member

Nov 25, 2002
    madison, wi
    epiphone allen woody signature--a fine shortscale!
    gretsch junior jet--so so
    epi eb-3 elitist--seem nice, 30.5" scale--may be discontinued?

the evo xm i tried was pretty poor, although i have a dean edge 4 improv that's super--other end of the price scale though ( and 34")

10. lamarjones

lamarjones Supporting Member

Aug 27, 2002
    Raleigh, NC
    This is no cheapie, but I freakin love it. Marco 30" fretless acoustic.

[​IMG]

11. hooky_marr

Sammy Camden: Birdsong, James Basses and Landing are next in line.

Watspan: great suggestions. I'm going to do a slew of posts about Gibson, Guild and Epiphone basses soon.

lamarjones: nice bass! What's it made of? Does the maker have a website or other contact info? And do you mind if I republish this image?

I've updated the blog with some higher-end stuff based on your suggestions. Keep them coming.

By the way, pics and info about vintage, rare, funky "Teisco del Rey" or "Subway Guitars" kinds of short-scales are totally encouraged - send them to my Gmail address (below).

And don't forget, you can always send me links, images and tips about instruments directly at shortscalebassblog at gmail dot com. Thanks for your support!

12. lamarjones

lamarjones Supporting Member

Aug 27, 2002
    Raleigh, NC
    Do what you want with it, I know very little. It is a Marco bass, the bridge is ebony, and not sure what the body is made of but there are many laminates on the thing. This bass used to belong to Marcus Miller, There is alike an April Issue last year where he was featured, and there is a headless Marco bass in that feature where it talks about his gear. A month later, I saw this on ebay and no one bid on it. I did not meet the reserve, but he sold it to me anyways. It rocks, nails the Rob Allen thing. I'll let you know if I can refind his website, not coming up right now.

http://www.lamarjonz.com/Bass/Marco.htm

13. Joe Smithberger

Joe Smithberger Supporting Member

Mar 8, 2002
    Canton, Ohio, USA
    Don't forget the Rob Allen Mouse. Great fretless shortscale with a huge sound.