1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Short scale bass + flats. ..yeah!

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by rodl2005, Sep 25, 2017.

1. A while back, I got this Crafted in Japan Fender Mustang - RI (or whatever it exactly is. .. )
    20151217_110702_zps3w2dnj4n.jpg
    20151217_110643_zpshxoao4gf.jpg

And while I really liked it and found it a light and handy bass for certain situations, I hadn't truly "fallen" for it.

Cut to a few weeks ago, I grabbed a medium scale set of D'addario Chromes -flats - for it. Yes, it's a short scale bass, but it's 'string - thru body' only stringing. ..with the stock bridge
    20151217_110726_zps7gwhb7e7.jpg
    . .. so, a I thought medium scale set would be the go.
    As @armybass started a thread - With some basses you just have to find the right strings. I could've posted in that. ..but thought some might get some benefit from this being a separate thread.
    The flats REALLY bring out the goodness of this little bass. Ime...short scale basses have a slightly scooped and tubby sorta tone to em, & the rounds that I tried on it, while sounding good, did highlight this aspect of it. Wasn't what I was going for.
    With the Chromes - & no doubt any 'mid-forward' sounding string - this li'l beast really punches.
    I feel they've brought out its best.
    I know I mainly use flats. .especially on P type basses, and tapes. ..but I do use rounds on a couple.
    Anyway, I'm glad I've found what really suits this baby.
    Anyone gotta similar story?

Last edited: Sep 25, 2017
    Anders Barfod and back4more like this.
  2. fermata

fermata

Nov 10, 2015
    Mountain West
    Nice! I'm about to have a similar story--I have a short scale Talman with (Mustang PJ pickups) that I'm going to string with flats, but I'm dithering on which set to get: La Bella 760FX or GHS Precision Flats.

It's funny, I actually got this bass so I could have one strung with rounds, but I so much prefer the tone and feel of flats that both my basses will be strung with them. I find them more musical, I suppose.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2017
    rodl2005 likes this.
  3. I like both kinds. ..country AND western;)
    but do dig the mid punch of flats. ..
    I've got GHS Precision flats on my 62AVRI Precision. ..and, yes they do indeed thump more than others I've tried on that bass (I've not had Labella Jamerson flats on it. ..as I had them on a bass way back and were just too fence wire like for my pinkies... The GHS seem like a similar sound but are far more - bendy...forgiving. ..easy on the hands etc etc...
    @fermata
    I've not tried the Labellas you mention. What's the feel / tone etc of those?

I really only got Chromes for this Mustang as not all brands of flats come in medium scale. ..plus I'd had good experienceswith Chromes b4. They're still relatively new and still have a bit of that brightness that new Chromes have, but they're mellowing nicely

4. fermata

fermata

Nov 10, 2015
    Mountain West
    On my Hofner, I have the La Bella Beatle Bass set, which is essentially the 760FX set. I really like them, in part for their wonderful tone, but also for their nice supple feel and glassy smoothness. However, I decided to order the GHS Precision Flats for the Talman, so I'll have a chance to compare.

5. tjh

tjh

Mar 22, 2006
    Minnesota
    Do you short scale players with flats generally use a pic or fingerstyle? ... the reason I ask, is hearing short scales (all have been Mustangs) with flats, I greatly prefer the sound of pick vs fingers in just about every mix I have heard them in ... that has kind of deterred me from looking into a short scale ... thanks!