Short scale bass for a kids hands?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by mcbassdude, Sep 3, 2003.

1. My son wants to play the bass now and lay down his trumpet. He's ten and his hands are just a bit too small for my basses. Does anyone have suggestions for a short scale affordable bass? I've looked at the Squier affinity bronco bass and the Mustang. I've had hagstrom basses in the past and they are short and small but I'm not wowed by the sound.
  2. Fender produced a u.s. made bass called the Bullett years ago. They made a 30" scale version and a 34" scale version. My very first bass was the 30" scale, red body, white pickguard, maple fretboard. Cool bass, well-made, highly recommended for little hands of a beginning bassist :) . I paid full list for the bass back in 1984 or so, the price was $399 new with a nice Fender hardshell case.
  3. I don't know if they have any left in stock but Rondo sells a short scale P-bass that people have said is pretty nice.

Rondo Short Scale P

It sells for about $100 so letting the kid bang away at it won't be painful. You'll have to do a complete setup on it. All of the Essex basses I've bought needed a complete setup. But they're very decent basses for an exceptional price. They do have some quirks and defects occasionally and some people have returned theirs. Rondo has a good return and defective material/workmanship policy so you shouldn't be caught short there.

I'd suggest checking the Essex Megathread and/or doing a search on "short scale".

4. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Fenix (Young Chang?) used to offer a modern medium-scale bass with a pickup in the MM position (but not a MM copy) for a budget price.
    I bought one for a female student some years ago, nice bass.
  5. Do you have a web address or contact info?
  6. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
  7. I'd check around for a Fender Mustang bass. 30" scale and fairly good build quality. It's a passive P pup bass btw.
  8. tuBass

Dec 14, 2002
    Mesquite, Texas
    I bought my son a bronco a couple of years ago, and I wish the Essex had been available then, I would have bought that in a heartbeat.
  9. Does this mean you were unhappy with the Bronco? If so what were the factors?
    Peace and thanks for the input!
  10. tuBass

Dec 14, 2002
    Mesquite, Texas
    I had to make several changes to it top bring it up to "acceptable", but now it really rocks. The essex wouldn't need the pickup change that i found to be vital, because it already comes with a p-bass pickup, whereas the bronco has a squire GUITAR pickup, (single coil, very noisy), and a really crappy bridge.
    I detailed the mods I make in a post earlier in the year.
    click here to see the post
  11. The original urge bass (stu hamm sig model) was of shorter scale... sounded pretty decent too. Not to be confused with the newer version that came out a few years ago.
  12. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    All of Warwick's bolt-on basses are available with either a 30" or 32" scale length. May be a bit pricier than you want to get into for a "beginner" bass, but they are very nice, I've played a few different ones.