Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

short scale bass for funk??

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by SugarLounge, Jan 20, 2001.

1. SugarLounge

SugarLounge

Jan 13, 2001
    I often play short scale basses 'cause I'm a small person... I realize that full scale basses work best for slapping and poppin' and funk, but.... is anyone aware of a short (32" or smaller) scale bass that works well for funk? Is anyone aware of a short scale bass that has a lot of punch? Thanks.

2. the Fender Stu Hamm urge MK1 bass is medium scale 32", and he's known for fast slap stuff. it has two Jazz bass pickups plus a P bass pickup, and an active circuit- so there should be plenty of suitable slap tones available. the new MK2 version is the full 34".

the bloke out of Les Rhythmes Digitales uses a Fender Musicmaster (short scale at 30") for slap stuff eg. "jacques your body". it sounds a bit like a less taut Precision bass slap tone.

[Edited by The Mock Turtle Regulator on 01-20-2001 at 11:19 AM]

3. darthspada

darthspada

Jan 20, 2001
    Lancaster, PA
    I used to know a dude who had a Gibson SG short scale bass. It thumped, man. As a guitarist, I used to do some popping and slapping just to funk with people's heads. It CAN be done with a shorter scale. The problem with doing it on a guitar is the closeness of the strings to each other. You should have no problem pulling the funk out of your booty with a short scaled bass. Practice a lot. Keep your thumb as parallel to the string as possible. Try using your middle finger instead of index finger for popping. And FUNK ON!

4. Niels Keijzer

Niels Keijzer Guest

Nov 27, 2000
    Well, looking at your profile: your viola bass can be seriously funky...maybe you have to put flatwounds on it for more punch.
    Les Claypool used a viola-bass in some of his songs. Those songs were funky.

5. notduane

notduane

Nov 24, 2000
    As most folks know, the good 'ol MM Stingray (34" scale) is good for slap, pop, and funk.
    It has that single pup with big-@$$ polepieces. A few years ago, Ampeg introduced
    the AMB1. It too has a "MM" style pup (Seymour Duncan SMB-4D Basslines). Passive with
    Master Volume and Tone, plus a series/parallel coil switch. AND it is short scale.

Standard colors ~ Blue, Black, and Purple. "Fancies" (quilted maple top) ~ Black Cherry,
    Amber and Purple bursts. The bridge allows for through-body stringin'. The "street" is
    usually between $600 > $800 (new). No, I don't work for Ampeg :D . I just think it's
    a cool, simple design. I do wish they made a long-scale, fretless version though :p .

Here's a Black Cherry burst at Guitar Villa for $669...

http://www.guitar-villa.com/Bass/bassA.htm

[​IMG]

6. You could looking for a:

S.D.CURLEE

from Chigago if I well remember.
    I had one in the second half of '80, they stopped production in that period.

Very good timbers, a lot of punch for 32".

Not easy to find I suppose, but a good deal. Try it.

7. notduane

notduane

Nov 24, 2000
    You forgot "built like a brick sh*thouse" :p
    I'd hate to be the heckler on the receiving end of a round-house shot from one of these...
    "All personnel to the massive head injury ward stat!" :p

[​IMG][​IMG]

8. ouch i can feel my finger nails ripping of on those front pickups already ND.

i guess with sloppiness comes danger.

9. notduane

notduane

Nov 24, 2000
    Now hold onto your cuticles thar' g-man :D:p . These were the only pics I could find.
    I shoulda' mentioned that they were also made with ONE P-pup back n'ar the breedge.
    There was a single pup one at this har place called "flashbackguitars.com"
    but some dang goomer up 'n bought it :eek: .
    ( http://www.flashbackguitars.com/guitarsbasses.html )

`twar me? I'd go with Ampeg...Simple, sturdy, MM pup. Few more bucks would get
    ya' that plexiglass Dan Armstrong. I seen one with interchangeable pups...
    slide in - slide out (do not repeat :rolleyes: ).

10. ND you have a picture for almost every post, i love it, and as far as the DA plexi-w/slide in slide-out PU i got on about a year ago, but because i have to be abnormal i went with the smoked plexi.

and it is cool for slap the shorter scale makes things easier.
    p.s. both of the pickups are very diferent sounding, one is bassier one is brighter, when i play it i use the bassier one.

11. Yeah, there is little space for popping.
    Sometimes I unsoldered and unbolded that front pick-up (on mine I had a j pu in mirrored position than a stratocaster).
    No problem I could slapped in other positions too.

12. How about an Alembic? I just got a 32" scale Spoiler (see the thread here) that cranks for slapping.

Also, Stanley Clarke's was only 30 3/4" scale, and he did OK with it!!!

13. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    short scale bass for funk? i have to agree...stanley clarke did it...but i think being funky has more to do with the player than the scale of the instrument he's playing...

14. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    DC
    You could try out them Kubicki x-factors. Stu Hamm used one of 'em before Fender made him his own custom basses.

15. I have one word for you: DANO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:D