Short scale bass for low tunings

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by AngryHammer, Jan 18, 2018.

1. AngryHammer

AngryHammer Supporting Member

Jun 25, 2017
    Eureka CA
    Can anyone recommend a good short scale bass for low income tuning? I play in drop C and I want less string buzz. Also my low sting is less loud than the others, tried different amps and tone settings but nothing helps it seems.

Thanks

2. jonnybass1

jonnybass1

Dec 9, 2011
    Brampton, On
    Warwick corvette Short scale. With a minimum .110 gage E string. I use stainless steel Rotosounds.I use that to tune to drop C# regularly. If you want to go lower you might need a thicker .115 E string for more clarity.

3. Sid the Kid

Sid the Kid Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2013
    Illinois
    Start first with raising your action and adding a little relief to the neck. The mismatched volume sounds like a pickup height issue.

Fret buzz is usually a setup issue that meets a technique issue. Correct one or the other, whichever suits you.

Heavier gauge strings would help, but it will make the lows sound even more tubby and rob you of some sustain. Also installing a heavier gauge will require a setup, so see paragraph 2.

I like to add string retainers to my Fender short scales E and A strings. Some folks say it has no effect past the nut but the tactile feel test says there is more tension with than without. If you want to be super slick Fender sells what the call "Stealth retainers" which slip under the tuner itself so no major surgery is required.

Good luck!

4. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 22, 2021