1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Short scale bass, long scale strings

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Maxpowweer, Jul 25, 2012.

1. Hi all,
    I recently bought some flat wounds for a knock off fretless p-bass, but I didn't realise until I measured it against my genuine p bass, that it is indeed much shorter.
    When I tried putting the strings on, the thin bit that should wrap around the post, goes too far past the post, and means that I start to wrap the thick bit of the string around the post. Would this cause any long term damage to the bass, or any playing problems?

(I know its only a cheapo bass but I don't fancy buying a new one all the time! :p)

2. George Mann

George Mann Banned

May 27, 2012
    Colorado
    No. You will kill the tone, and the string will unravel.

What is the length between the E saddle and nut?

3. Who does make short scale flatwounds? The guy at GC had no solutions when I asked him, he just told me to cut regular length strings to size after tuning them.

4. George Mann

George Mann Banned

May 27, 2012
    Colorado
    That's why these yo-yo's work there! 30" short-scale bass strings are readily available from the internet.

If you have a shorter scale, look here: http://www.guadalupecustomstrings.com/1601.html

5. George Mann

George Mann Banned

May 27, 2012
    Colorado
    The D'Addario ECB81S are my choice in flat-wounds.

6. From the nut, to the saddle, it measures at 33". That wouldn't make it a short scale though would it? I'm starting to think the cheap workmanship on the bass has buggered the dimentions.
    Also, I have tried other strings from other basses on and I have the same problem, so it isn't the strings

7. Would these work on a Jag SS with a 30" scale? I've bought mine used and it's coming with GHS super steels, been thinking of what kind of flats I could put on it when I get it.

8. Bassamatic

Bassamatic keepin' the beat since the 60's Supporting Member

Yes - you can get the D'addario Chromes in short scale and also the TI Flats for Hofner. Try bassstringsonline.com If you use long scale strings and cut them the tension will not be correct for good sound.

9. What scale are the D'Addario short flats made for, like 25-30"? I think the Jag's scale is a little longer then most short scales at 30". I'm just worried they won't be long enough.

10. bassobrutto

bassobrutto Supporting Member

Mar 2, 2010
    Yellow Springs, Ohio
    Well, in my humble experience, there is absolutely no problem in using long scale flats on shorter scale basses. I have done it with a range of brands (Chromes, TIs, GHS, I think) and they sound just fine and feel just fine. The only brand that I know you cannot do this with is Labella, because their strings will break if you wind the "thick" part around the tuning post, because of how they are made. Otherwise, I have no idea why some people say doing this is a problem. It really is not.

As for companies that make special short scale flats, they include: Labella, TI, Daddario, Rotosound, GHS, Pyramid.

11. SLaPiNFuNK

SLaPiNFuNK Commercial User

Jul 28, 2006
    LA California
    The Brains: FretNation.com
    Depends on the strings... Some are flexible enough to go around the post as long as you don't cut them into the full winding.

It won't cause damage otherwise. The string will either break or unravel like mentioned before, but if it hasn't already you're fine...

12. loopee

loopee Supporting Member

May 12, 2009
    Surrey, B.C. Canada
    what you mention about Labella's is very interesting....I have a headless short scale bass which I've been debating putting some Labella flats on....will they unravel when I put them on, secure them with the screw holding them down and then cut them? I have GHS Pressurewounds on there now but I've had quite a few E strings unravel so I don't want that problem to continue with the expensive Labellas............

13. dralionux

dralionux

Feb 3, 2009
    Savannah, GA
    I use long scale Chrome flats ECB81 on my short scale basses (SX fretless, Squier Jaguar SS) without problems. They sound and feel fine.

14. SLaPiNFuNK

SLaPiNFuNK Commercial User

Jul 28, 2006
    LA California
    The Brains: FretNation.com
    Cutting any string in the middle of the full winding you are going to risk it unraveling... The best thing you can do is leave a millimeter or two past the locking device and cut after the string is already locked and to pitch.

15. George Mann

George Mann Banned

May 27, 2012
    Colorado
    Medium scale strings should be an acceptable fit.

16. George Mann

George Mann Banned

May 27, 2012
    Colorado
    Yes.

17. George Mann

George Mann Banned

May 27, 2012
    Colorado
    Only 30". The Jag SS meets spec.

18. George Mann

George Mann Banned

May 27, 2012
    Colorado
    They will eventually fail.

19. Thanks George for your info, i'll be on the hunt for Chrome Short Flats, if not i'll hit up bassstringsonline.

20. Measure from the nut to the 12th fret, then double that measurement. Something's not right with a measurement of 33".