Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

"Short scale" bass players??

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by midjjj, Dec 11, 2000.

1. midjjj

midjjj

Dec 11, 2000
    I'm talking about those who play a "short scale" bass (smaller size, closer frets for those of us with small hands.) I'm wondering if I am the only one in the world who uses one! After playing with ym band and in different jams and many clubs, I have yet to find another victim of small hands. Just curious if anyone plays one, what kind etc...

Joey Tanner

[Edited by Stingray5 on 12-11-2000 at 04:38 PM]

2. Welcome to Talkbass Joey. Just so you know, we've had problems here in the past with regards to gender biases. So in the spirit of political correctness, and since I believe you're referring to short scale basses, I have to edit your post as such. E-mail me if there are any probs and we'll work it out. :)

3. MJB

MJB

Mar 17, 2000
    Yeah Joey, I'm plagued with small hands. I do play a 34" scale bass, a Geddy Lee Jazz, but it has a very thin, front to back, neck profile. I also have a DeArmond Starfire and a 65 EB-O is on the way, both short scale basses. I also finger 1-2-4-4 low on the neck as any other way is just not possible. My pinky is also a good 1" shorter than my ring finger. Fortunately there are decent instruments out there for us. I looked to see what basses you play but, :( your profile isn't filled out.

Mike

4. DarkMazda

DarkMazda

Jun 3, 2000
    NJ
    Don't worry about it man!! Who cares if your using a short scale bass! Les Claypool used to play on his 32" Scale Carl Thompson and look at him!! :) Even doh he uses a 34" or 36" basses now... just play with a bass thats comfortable for YOU.. don't worry about what other people says.. if its easier for you to play on a 32" .. use that..

DM

5. my first bass was a short scale, a Squire Bronco, but I just got that because it was so cheap, I think it's 30". It's my only fretted bass though, so it still gets plenty of playing time. The sound's not much different than on a long scale though.

6. CamMcIntyre

CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    USA
    I'm gonna be playing a super short scale bass, the ashbory unless if the snow gets really deep i will pick it up on Saturaday.

7. My first bass was a Danelectro Longhorn, which is a short-scale bass. It sounds fine but the strings aren't as tight as I'd like them to be. They sound fine too, I personally like the feel of a regular scale bass though.

8. Used to play a short scale when I had an Alembic 6 string. Most of my basses have 34" scales. The Alembic short scale and all is one of the better sounding basses.

9. I play a Harmony H-22 short scale bass with flatwounds areound the house and in the studio. I have big hands but it is fun to play the shorty. I also have a Hagstrom 8 string that some times lives without the bass strings as a piccolo other times as an 8.

10. Most of my basses are 35", including a 35" scale 4 string that I made myself. I have a short scale mid sixties Gibson EBO that I love to play, though. Even though my hands and fingers are long.

Herm

11. cole

cole

Sep 14, 2000
    Maryland
    I don't have a short-scale bass, but I wouldn't mind having one around. I think the whole "short-scale basses suck" stigma is because of the, er, questionable quality of a lot of basses back in the 60's and 70's.

why did all those Japanese and other manufacturers make their basses short-scale, anyway? some sort of "student model" school of thought?

12. A lot of those basses fro the 60's are worth a try with contemporary strings you will be surprised how good they sound. I am also rebuilding a custom bass from the 70's that is medium scale and kinda alembic looking by a guy named Gary Cooper hopefully it will be cool.

13. midjjj

midjjj

Dec 11, 2000
    Wow, what a response. Sorry for my un-gender friendly term! Anyways, wasn't saying I dont like bieng small handed, jus curious if anyone else was. I play on a Yamaha Motion-B III It's my "starter" model, I had another, a Squire, but liked the feel of the yamaha. That and I'm a college student so new basses seem sooo far away:) Thanks for the response.

14. nanook

nanook

Feb 9, 2000
    Alaska
    You got small hands or short arms? A short scale bass won't necessarily solve the small hands problem.

Maybe a Ibanez pencil neck is what you need.

The 4000 series Rickenbackers have a slender neck but are long scale.

15. Rockinjc

Rockinjc

Dec 17, 1999
    Michigan
    My hands are not big, but I am comfortable on my fenders or an upright. The 4001 Rick I used to own was nice and thin front to back. It's also a tad bit shorter. I can't span seven frets with my hands, but somehow manage to find inventive and groovy things to play.

That being said, the other week I as at my guitar players house, and he had a short scale, off brand, violin bass knocking around. I picked that up, and it was almost too easy to play (fun). I dug the tone as well, a nice change of pace. Play what you like. :)

Jc

16. Rockinjc

Rockinjc

Dec 17, 1999
    Michigan
  17. Deano Destructo

Deano Destructo Music Man/Upton addict. Hasn't slept since 1979. Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2000
    Austin, TX
    [Edited by Deynn on 12-14-2000 at 03:50 PM]

18. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

I don't understand the Rickenbacker part of this comment.

Ibanez are 34" scale, Rick's are 33.25", and both have slim necks.

Why would a Rick be harder to play than an Ibanez?

BTW - Rick's are technically not long scale, although at only .75" shorter I doubt that anyone could tell a difference.

19. dwynsen

dwynsen Guest

Aug 31, 2000
    Ohio, USA
    I play 34" scale now (I'm a fairly large man with large hands). But I remember playing a frequently-borrowed Gibson EB-0 back in the 60's and 70's. I loved it. I played fast and it was extremely easy to get around the neck. I could be very, very wrong but I seem to recall that the EB-0 displayed great "growl" long before growl was in vogue. It was as if you could actually hear each individual cycle of the vibrating string. I know that's nonsense, but that's the sound characteristic I remember most. I remember hearing new top-40 hits back then and being able (usually) to spot the EB-0 sound. It was truly unique. I have been considering buying the Epiphone EB-0 ($250???), replacing the pup, setting it up, and just groovin' up and down that short neck. I can't imagine why anyone should be made to feel ashamed of playing a short neck. Geez, play whatever YOU want, and play it well. What else matters? Best of luck!

...and Merry Xmas to all!

20. j3b3r

j3b3r

Aug 19, 2000
    Alembic Stanley Clarke signature basses has 30 3/4" scale and 24frets.

Does Stanley has small hands ??
    well, I guess he doesn't want to strecth to much :)