Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Short scale bass recommendations?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by princeadr, Jan 31, 2006.

1. princeadr

princeadr

Apr 29, 2005
    I am a guitar player/ bass player and I trade off bass and guitar with other guys in a group. Is there a good quality short scale bass (preferably with passive pickups) that would be an easier adjustment to players used to playing guitars with 24-25.5 inch scale guitars? Kind of like the variety of P & J pickup combination as well if that helps narrow choices which are probably already narrow. Are there major trade-offs with going with a shorter scale bass (32 or 30 inch)?

2. adept_inept

adept_inept

Jan 9, 2006
    if u like the used market, or if u can get a good deal on a used one, the fender mustang is always a nice choice. passive, loud, and short scale. i believe they are 32"

3. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Search function: "short scale".

4. :cool: If you want a Fender the Mustang is the only way to go. Their other two short scale basses leave a little to be desired. However, I found the Mustang to also be lacking, though nowhere near as bad as the Bronco or Baby P.

I have an SX shorty P. It's not a bad bass for the money. But I must emphasize, "for the money". For $110 new you're not going to get a top quality instrument.

I recently did a rather indepth search for short scales and came up with three that seemed to be real nice top quality instruments with prices that wouldn't break the bank: James Basses; Birdsong Guitars (CortoBass); and Landing Basses. After a lot of emailing I decided on a James Bass and it's currently on order. The other two were also excellant. It was simply a matter of desires and taste in options that made my decsion.

Check them out. You might find what you're looking for.

5. machoufski

machoufski

Sep 9, 2005
    i have a richwood vintage series short scale p-bass and its very good for the money.

6. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    Kubicki Ex-Factor. Has both active and passive modes I own one, simply awesome bass.

7. Are there any basses for the size of a 6 year old girl? I've been looking for a while because I'm teaching my sister on a crappy defretted bass and she can't reach all the way to the first 5 frets.

8. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    Search around, there are a few people here who are teaching their young kids bass on short scale instruments!

9. richnota

richnota Gold Supporting Member

Jan 11, 2005
    hudson valley
    the rob allen "mouse" is an unbelievable 30" instrument. Quite pricy but a very cool sound. There's been a few on auction recently.

10. seventhson

seventhson Supporting Member

Aug 12, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    Fender Mustangs basses used to be 30" scale length. That's what Bill Wyman played fwiw. Daisyrock.com makes short scale guitars/basses for young girls.

11. dunamis

dunamis

Aug 2, 2004
    Charlotte
    Depends on your taste and budget but any of the following are worth consideration:

Alembic
    Kubicki
    Status
    Landing
    Cortobass

There are others but these were the first ones that jumped into my head.

M

12. Flag2Flag

Flag2Flag

Dec 30, 2005
    Austin, TX
    Have you checked out birdsong?
    i dont know much about it but the birdsong i think is about 32"

13. dunamis

dunamis

Aug 2, 2004
    Charlotte
    Birdsong makes the Cortobass which has a scale length of 31".

14. +1 If you are looking for something a little more up scale.

I have a Mouse 30 (30" scale) and they are no bigger than a Tele. A standard Mouse 30 is fretless with a piezo pick up and comes with tapewound strings to give it an upright bass vibe, but Rob Allen is a custom builder and offers a fretted version with magnetic pick ups as well. Awesome bass if you don't mind spending the cash.

15. princeadr

princeadr

Apr 29, 2005
    Thanks for all the info. I'll start researching some of these!

16. I would recommend checking out Epiphone's Allen Woody model. It's a great sounding short scaled bass.

17. dunamis

dunamis

Aug 2, 2004
    Charlotte
    There you go! Either the Mouse or the Woody Allen would be good choices.

If you want a solid body though, check this out:

http://www.landingbass.com/New Main Page.html

I own the white L332 on the site (http://www.landingbass.com/L332.html). It's got a great neck. I love it. It's the first bass I grab at home for practice and have used in it in numerous (I dunno, probably 30 or 40) live performances. It it one of my favorite basses, and Jimmy Wilson is a dreat guy to work with.

18. Akami

Akami Four on the floor

I'd agree about choosing the Mustang over a Bronco or Musicmaster, but since he mentioned either 30" or 32" the MIJ Jazz Bass Special was also available in 32" and comes with P/J pickup combination.
    Another often overlooked Fender 32" bass is the older Stu Hamm Urge which is also an exceptional instrument. The one I have is a MIM and has two J pickups with active tone controls.
    I have a 32" Jazz Bass Special that I'm interested in either selling or trading if it sounds at all interesting to you.

19. [​IMG]

Any idea what this one is?? Robert Trujillo in the picture