1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Short Scale Bass Search- need advice

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by scottie65, Jun 1, 2014.

1. scottie65

scottie65

Jul 31, 2013
    New Mexico
    Can anyone give me a lead on some different models of short scale basses that I can check out. I am interested in trying one. I do not want anything less than a 30 - 31". Just want to try something shorter than the 34" that I have. Thanks for any help and advice. I have seen the Hofner Galaxie and think it is nice but not many places sell them. Would like to know of other models also (solid body, hollow body etc).
    If you have any likes dislikes please let me know.

2. I have a Hofner Galaxie and I love it. But beware: its a very idiosyncratic instrument. Doesn't go well with slap and such stuff. Very warm sounding. I love how it sounds, especially how I can get enough low end on the G string to play around while holding the fort in a band situation (old flatwound strings on). But some people would describe that as muddy. Tight string spacing, whish a like also, much more fast octaves in my playing since it became my main bass :D. And least but not least, THE mid sixties british invasion sound. :bassist: Nice build quality for its price, mine has low action and almost plays itself. Did I mention that it looks sooo cool... Try one if you can.

3. RedHotFuzz

RedHotFuzz

Mar 16, 2014
    Gretsch Junior Jet ($300). Squier Mikey Way Mustang ($300). Squier Jaguar SS ($180).

4. stuntbass77

stuntbass77

Nov 6, 2007
    SX by Rondo has 32" and 30". They have a new 30" jazz bass with a single piece body for 199.00

5. scars

scars

Jul 3, 2013
    Cape Cod
    Guild Starfire

6. stuntbass77

stuntbass77

Nov 6, 2007
    Birdsong and rob Allen make great short scales, but expensive. I do all of my own fret level and set up so a cheap bass like SX can sound great with some fresh pickups and setup. I'm looking myself for a shorty, hope you find what you want.

7. drummer5359

drummer5359 Gold Supporting Member

Jan 10, 2011
    Pittsburgh PA USA
    I'm not sure what your budget is, but the Gibson SG specials that are selling for about $765 including a case look like sweet deals. If I were going to try a short scale, I would start there.

Tennesseemick likes this.
  8. MakoMan

MakoMan

Oct 17, 2011
    Ottawa, Canada
    It's really hard to beat the Squier Jaguar SS as a 'tryout' short scale bass. Great playing and sounding bass and just about the lest expensive short scale bass you can buy.

SeamzKing, jonnybass1, design and 2 others like this.
  9. Turock

Turock

Apr 30, 2000
    Melnibone
    If it were me, I'd head on over to the classified section and check out that Allen Woody Rumblekat.

10. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    I've said this before, but several months ago Bass Player did a review of 3 short scale hollowbodies, two Fender and a Guild.

11. hotbass57

hotbass57

Nov 27, 2011
    Fairfield,Ohio
    Many great choices above add Fender Mustang/Squier, Epi EBO copy, Fender Musicmaster.

12. stuntbass77

stuntbass77

Nov 6, 2007
    SG's are cool, I am a EB-3 kinda guy. I played a friends about 15 years ago through a 18" bull frog bottom and that thing didn't sound small at all. What's nice about the above mentioned squires is you can go to guitar center and try them out. I would start with a lower end one to see if you like playing short or medium scale (it's what I plan to do). Hollow bodies are cool but a total different sound.

13. FerruleCat

FerruleCat

Mar 29, 2014
    Tulsa, OK
    I've been happy with the Squier Vintage Modified Mustang, but keep in mind it strings through the body, so you'll need medium scale strings. It's more than the Jaguar SS, but the styling was enough to justify it for me. It's a nice instrument.

VincentB likes this.
  14. atomicdog

atomicdog

Jun 18, 2011
    Gisbon SGs, Danelectro Longhorns . . .

15. I tried the Gretsch Junior II and loved it. Had a great vibe and quiet pickups. The output was very strong. Was set on a Squier Vintage Modified Mustang, but, not having tried one, am undecided which way to go. I might add the Epiphone Viola to the above suggestions, as I had two and they were very nice, if somewhat limited in harder rock circles (which I no longer move in).

16. scottie65

scottie65

Jul 31, 2013
    New Mexico
    Thanks for all the good advice guys. I will have to see what works out best. I just do not want to get too short of a scale but I figured the 30" was short enough. I may have to do as some of you have said and that is to try out a Squier Jaguar at a local music store before jumping in and buying an expensive short scale right off the bat I sure wish I could find someone local that had the Gretsch Junior II in stock but that is almost impossible out here. Any more advice is always appreciated but thanks for all the responses because I am happy to see what others have tried or done to find a comfortable bass to play. I did hear of a guy in England that plays a Richwood which is a Chinese import but he has to do a lot of electronics change outs and hardware changes to get it to play the way he want it to but at times I think it might be best to find one that I do not have to completely rebuild to sound good. I appreciate all of your help.

17. ::::BASSIST::::

::::BASSIST:::: Progress Not Perfection.

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    My Stambaugh shortscale. GAS killer.

stambaugh1-1.

18. scottie65

scottie65

Jul 31, 2013
    New Mexico
    Wow, now that is an awesome bass...Stambaugh. First time I have heard of them. Thanks for posting.

19. eldoryder

eldoryder I just LOVE me some Vintage Peaveys! Supporting Member

Jun 27, 2011
    Nacogdoches, TX
    0301082517_frt_wmd_001.
    Squier, of course.
    $299.99 everywhere brand new. Cheaper, used!
    I love mine. Nice big ol' fat humbucker instead of the split-coil pickup.
    It's my first short-scale, and I couldn't be happier.
    You gotta love big chunky silver metalflake, though...AND a racing stripe!

20. scottie65

scottie65

Jul 31, 2013
    New Mexico
    Thanks for the info on the Rondo. The basses look nice but I would agree the pickups and a good set up would probably be needed especially on the low end basses. I also noticed a medium (32") scale that looks interesting. I need to check into how to do my own fret leveling because that is something I have always found is usually needed on low priced models because they do not have the time to invest on this issue when they are selling at such low prices. If you have any leads on instruction for this or other things I would appreciate you updating me. I am one of those guys that likes this type of stuff. I used to rebuild band instruments. Thanks again.