1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Short-scale bass with a really thick neck?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Zerozeddy, Nov 28, 2006.

1. Does such a thing exist? Let's say up to 32".

2. What measurements do you consider thick???

3. No idea, not a readily available spec on any website I can find. Write down all the thicknesses you know and then delete those that aren't the highest.

4. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    Alembic will make you one.

5. What budget range??

6. policyvote

policyvote

Jul 31, 2006
    Holt, MI
    By "up to 32 inches" do you mean as long as or as short as 32 inches? Hate to keep pimping my new Gretsch, but it fits the bill: 30.3" scale, and a very deep C shape neck. I'm curious as to what you're looking for here: are you just into big necks and you'd like to try a short scale? Or, do you think there's a specific benefit to the combination?

Peace
    policy

7. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL The Beagle Father Supporting Member

Maybe one of the Gibson/Epiphone EB basses.

8. Any pics of your Gretsch? what was price range?:ninja:

9. Yes - it's an RSI-avoidance thing, having given up bass for 6 years due to tenosynovitis.

10. Give Scott a call at birdsong...easy guy to talk to...best short scales Ive played(have 5 of his with more on the way) but he has builted basses for players with hand problems...maybe he can help with suggestions or a bass !!!

11. Well these Birdsong thingies look very nice, but $1.5k+ is a lot to pay for something that might not help.

12. policyvote

policyvote

Jul 31, 2006
    Holt, MI
    I don't have a real great shot of the neck profile, but here are a couple nice shots:

bodyangle.

jointangle.

List is like $2650, street usually between $2250 and $2350. I got mine for $1650 new because of a practically invisible dent in the top (put there by the dealer). I am told the bass was extremely popular with the employees, with more than one already making purchasing plans when I got hold of it. Whew!

I am still penning what is sure to be a monster write-up on this beauty.

Peace
    policy

13. pklima

pklima Commercial User

May 2, 2003
    Kraków, Polska
    Karoryfer Samples
    Have you tried taking a 34"-scale four-string with a chunky neck, putting a capo at the 1st or 2nd fret and retuning? That should give you at least some idea of whether it would help.

14. Scott gives you 7days to test/play the instrument---if not satisfied ..just return for a full refund......:eyebrow:,,go thru his site...in feedback some birdsongs are in england & scotland.....France,hungary....the birdsong family is growing !

15. cant wait to read your write-up !!!

16. I own a short scale bass so familiar with that dimensional aspect... it's just I haven't laid hands on a chunky neck bass of any scale for er 20 years as a) seem to be very few around these days and b) in my ignorance I always believed chunky to mean cheap and difficult to play.

17. acleex38

acleex38

Jul 28, 2006
    I'll second CTBass's statements. Scott at Birdsong has made two basses of note - one custom cortobass for a customer with a condition which necessitated a different body shape because he couldn't grip the bass to pick it up - and that customer (from what I can tell) has raved about the playability of the bass.

There is another, more recent customer who has been recovering from a stroke and has been able to resume playing faster than expected thanks to the Birdsong.

I guess the point is "if it works for them, it might be worth a try." The necks have Jazz nut width but a fat neck profile. Exceptionally comfortable to play.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

18. Pennydreadful

Pennydreadful Goin out West

Jun 13, 2005
    Arlington, Texas
    Aaand, I need to put on a fresh pair of pants...

19. the_home

the_home Gold Supporting Member

Jul 14, 2005
    Pensacola, FL
    This is the ticket. My Gibby EB 2 ('67) has a baseball bat for a neck - short scale.

20. 3NotesAbar

3NotesAbar

Jul 3, 2005
    Singapore
    I played a friend's Fender-era Kubicki Ex-Factor. 32" with a nice beefy neck.