Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Short-scale bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by superbassman2000, Nov 14, 2003.

1. Hello,
    can anybody recommend a good short-scale bass to me? I know this sounds like a "What bass should I buy?" post, but I only want to know a few short-scale basses other than the fender mustang. Thanks for the help,
    Charlie

2. JPJ

JPJ

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    Darrin Huff (DHuff Guitars) and Mike Browne (Browne Basses) both build AMAZING 32" scale basses. If you're looking to go shorter than that, you could get a Gibson EB series bass. I suppose a Fender Bass VI might also be of interest.

3. MegaTrain

MegaTrain

Sep 8, 2003
    Short scale? How about one of these? (30, 32 or 34" scale lengths available on some of these models)

Alembic Signature Standard
    Alembic Signature Deluxe
    Alembic Series I
    Alembic Series II
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    OK, that's the good news.
    Here's the bad news.
    Code:
    Model              4-string        5-string        6-string
    -----------------------------------------------------------
    Excel              2600            3100            3600
    Epic               3200            3700            4200

Orion              3200            3700            4200
    Essence            3800            4300            4800

Signature Standard 4900            5400            --
    Rogue              5100            5600            6100

Europa             5500            6000            6500
    Signature Deluxe   6300            6800            --

Series I           9700           10200           10700
    Series II         13000           13500           14000

4. xyllion

xyllion Commercial User

Jan 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA, USA
    Owner, Looperlative Audio Products
    Ok, what you get depends on the price you are willing to pay. Check eBay, some short scale basses appear there from time to time. Most common are the Fender Musicmasters.

If you are looking to go custom, then you have a bunch of options. I currently have Karl Hoyt building a 32" 6-string for me. Mine will be strung E A D G C F (a 4-string bass with the 2 higher strings added). I plan to use mine to toy around with solo bass pieces. Although I may even play it with my band if I can keep them from laughing at me for bringing a 6-string to practice.

5. 32"?? When someone says "short scale", I rather think of basses having guitar size, like Hofner's "Beatles" bass or Fender's "Bullet" one!?!

6. hoytbasses

hoytbasses

Mar 30, 2003
    Cape Cod
    I build stringed instruments.......
    I've built a couple 32" 5 string BEADG basses: the trick is to have a really rigid neck to keep the B from feeling too floppy. Bob's bass is going to LOOK great and be pretty wacky electronicly

I am pretty sure that the Hofner beatle bass was a 30" scale as was any short-scale Fenders.

have a great weekend, Go Patriots!!!!!

7. DW

DW

Jun 22, 2000
    Hofners and short scale Fenders are 30" scale basses, not guitar scale. 32" is usually called medium scale.

The Danelectro guitars and basses seem to be unavailable, even though they are still shown on their website. MF and others are not carrying them. Evets Corp. (the people who claimed the old Danelectro name) lost a trademark infringement suit against Jerry Jones Guitars, and the instruments disappeared shortly after.

Jerry Jones makes makes short scale basses.

Rob Allen makes the Mouse.

Bruce Johnson makes one: http://www.xstrange.com/ssbmain.html

All Warwick bolt-ons can be ordereed in 30" or 32" scale.

8. SMG

SMG Supporting Member

Apr 17, 2000
    metro Detroit
    While these are no longer being made, the Ampeg Crystal Cut series were excellent. When they show up on ebay, they usually don't go for a whole lot, so try and find one of these.

Steve

9. The Lurker

The Lurker

Aug 16, 2002
    Ankh-Morpork
    I believe the Epiphone Allan Woody sig bass is shortscale, too.

What kind of sound are you going for? Most shortscales are aimed at a sort of old-style sound, like the Starfire, EB3, etc.