Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Short scale bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Paul A, Mar 20, 2002.

1. Paul A

Paul A

Dec 13, 1999
    Hertfordshire U.K!
    Hi,
    One of my Kids (Girl aged 9) is showing a great amount of interest in playing bass.
    Trouble is, My AM Standard P and Reissue P are way too big for her to handle.
    I was thinking along the lines of something short scale for her - Recs. Please!
    :)

2. I understand Squier do one @ 30"...is it called the Bronco?

There's the Epiphone / Gibson EBO. I think that's 26".....I think.

John

3. Paul A

Paul A

Dec 13, 1999
    Hertfordshire U.K!
    Thanks John,
    I think Fender may have dropped the Bronco, I can't see any reference to it on Fender U.K's site.
    The only review I can find on the Epiphone EBO doesn't give it a good write - up.
    :(

4. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    You can't go wrong with a Fender Musicmaster, but I'm not sure if Fender is still making that one either. :confused:

5. Fender still makes the Bronco.... its still listed on the Squier page. I'd suggest the Squier Bronco, or the Ephiphone EB-0 (which is 30.5"), the Ephiphone Viola Bass (Also 30.5"), the Danelectro Longhorn is 30" the body is small buy oddly shaped, and the Rogue Violin bass might be an option but I don't know what scale it is. Fender also makes a short scale acoustic bass I don't know the model number of it though. There are also some off brands I'm sure that make shortscales.

My opinion is I'd suggest getting either the Ephiphone Viola Bass (due to the small body and the fairly good pickups), or the Squier Bronco (the pickup is horrible though, and would need to be upgraded).

6. You could try to find her an old MIM Stu Hamm Urge bass. It's a 32"-scale J-style with a very thin neck.

I don't think that a short scale is as necessary as a small neck. You could try giving her an Ibanez GSR200 or something of that nature.

7. BASSethound

BASSethound

Mar 19, 2002
    Buffalo, NY
    I have an old musicmaster bass aqua blue. It is my "couch" guitar, when the woman wants me to "watch" ER or something!

Fender reissued them in Pink last year and you can still get them around for about $200! I love it! Tons of fun to play- I gave it to my little bro when he wanted to learn. I put flatwounds on it to make it easier on his hands too!

8. craigb

craigb G&L churnmeister Supporting Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

These are 30" scale, the daisy one was $320 at MF and might be considered cool by some 9 year old girls (hey I have a five year old boy, what do I know about girls).

http://www.daisyrock.com

9. Paul A

Paul A

Dec 13, 1999
    Hertfordshire U.K!
    Thanks All!
    I think it might be an EB0 (with flatwounds)!

10. John Davis

John Davis Guest

Mar 27, 2001
    Houston, Texas
    I WAN'T THAT!!

hehe...

11. Dude, I saw that heart one on eBay about a week back and decided I must have one. I mean, just imagine playing on stage with that, uh, piece of work. Heheheh....

12. old_skool

old_skool

Aug 17, 2000
    Milwaukee, WI
  13. ndjx

ndjx

Oct 26, 2001
    MN
    You may wanna check out the Squier MB-4 as well as the Bronco.

14. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Those Daisy basses rock! Just ask Gruffpuppy.

15. sethdavidson

sethdavidson

Mar 11, 2002
    I'm a bit of an newbie, but you might consider a danelectro longhorn pro. they have a sound that many consider a little weak, but a shorter scale(I believe 32, but I can't remember at this point).

They are also made out of a type of plywood, and are hollowbodied, so there are very few lighter basses out there. might give it a shot.

16. Winston TK

Winston TK Hairpiece Adventurer

Oct 8, 2001
    Burnaby, BC Canada
    My vote goes to the Danelectro Longhorn Reissue.

This is a pretty decent instrument. And, for someone of her age and size, I think this would be a good choice. It's definitely a short scale bass, and is extremely lightweight.

And the sound is excellent.

Oh, yeah.....and it's quite inexpensive.

Just an idea.

17. natebass

natebass

Sep 6, 2001
    Bremerton, WA
    As a bass player who plays short scale basses pretty much exclusively, I would recommend the Squier - provided you output it with an EMG strat pickup. When you add the EMG, you get the sound of an EMG, which, although not my personal fave, a very usable sound.

18. notduane

notduane

Nov 24, 2000

Lovin Bass

Feb 8, 2002
    Los Angeles
    I have seen another short scale in my local store.
    I believe the company is GTR. I don't know anything about them other than they are selling cheap.

20. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida

Have you given consideration to the Fender MusicMaster? Its not a bad short scale bass, I had one for over a decade (it was my 1st bass) and it never gave me any problems. They dont sound all that bad either actually, and their playability is quite impressive IMO. And they arent that expensive, you should be able to pick up an old used one for under 2 bills.