1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Short scale bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by madgapper, Mar 22, 2009.

1. madgapper

madgapper

Mar 8, 2009
    Any tips on a good bass with a 30" scale ?

2. brachal

brachal

Jan 7, 2006
    New Orleans, La
    Much will depend on your budget. Not knowing your budget, or the type of music you play, I'd say Gibson SG reissue.

3. rllefebv

rllefebv

Oct 17, 2000
    Newberg, Oregon
    I have a Musicmaster, a Longhorn, and an Ovation Typhoon... All shorties, all good basses, (though admittedly, the Typhoon is a bit more 'specialized', being a fretless hollowbody)

-robert

And yeah, check out the 'Stang re-issues

4. rfclef

rfclef

Jan 19, 2007
    Woodburn, Oregon
    http://www.birdsongguitars.com/

Depends on your budget. But these are some of the finest basses of any scale. Scott and Jamie are the most awesome people to deal with. I love my Birdsong.

5. Swin

Swin

May 25, 2008
    Toronto
    Ibanez Freakazoid
  6. Brewerpaul

Brewerpaul

Mar 1, 2009
    I just bought my first bass. I wanted something to noodle around on without spending a lot of money, so I bought an SX Jazzbass clone for all of $110.
    I'm no expert on basses, but I am a wooden instrument maker, and I can tell you that this thing is very nicely made. To my ears it plays just fine. I love it.

7. BassBob185

BassBob185

Oct 25, 2007
    Rocking Chair
    SX (Rondo) has a great short scale for about $120

8. If you can afford it... Epiphone Rivoli. I got mine for 200 stirling pounds! Reet good they are!

9. GM60466

GM60466

May 20, 2006
    Land of Lakland
    Fender Mustang in Fiesta Red

G

10. honestjohnny

honestjohnny

Nov 24, 2006
    Many people like the Ibanez Mikro. It's 29" scale.

11. madgapper

madgapper

Mar 8, 2009
    Many thanks to all

12. Waterstone Indra
    Hofner Icon
    Eastwood Club

13. Low Main

Low Main Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2004
    Massachusetts
    I would second the Birdsong and the Musicmaster. Way different instruments, but both are short scale.

14. meta

meta

Mar 11, 2009
    JamesBasesses has some top end shortscales too... http://www.jamesbasses.com/

I'd say for cheap go for a hammer slammer.
    Then for relatively inexpensive is the Gibson SG re-issue.
    Then for about double that is the Fender Mustang.
    Then if that isn't enough you can double that again for a nice birdsong or jamesbass or ....

But there are tons out there, and that was just my priority list, I'd make sure to try them out, and see what feels and sounds good to you, as different people have different expectations and priorities that aren't easily quantifiable in a short posting.

I've got a mustang myself, and I can't say enough about it - from the second I picked it up it was just comfortable - easy to play, still has a good punch, action is sweet, no noise or buzzing.... It doesn't have the punch of a big huge necked heavier P bass but overall I've found that the sound is more determined by the amp you play through... so if you've got a good amp it almost doesn't matter what you plug into it, as long as you like playing it.

15. +1,000 :D