1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Short Scale Bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by DiegeBerry123, Jun 29, 2012.

1. DiegeBerry123

DiegeBerry123

Jun 21, 2012
    I just ordered a short scale bass but i began wondering after i ordered it what's the difference b/w this and a regular size bass?
    I mean I know a short scale bass is shorter but is that it?:ninja:

2. solderjunkie

solderjunkie

Jan 27, 2008
    Nashville TN
    Frets are closer together and there are usually fewer of them. String tension will be lower for the same gauge of string... I usually string mine up with "heavies" to keep the fret-racket to a minimum.

3. boynamedsuse

boynamedsuse Supporting Member

Oct 13, 2010
    All things being equal they are generally lighter. Having the shorter neck may help keep some people (like me) from accidentally banging the headstock into things quite as often. Also, any dead spots on the neck would be in different locations than they are with a full scale bass.

The only downside is a potential reduction in authority (or note definition) of E and possibly F. Some people claim they can hear a sonic difference between the scale lengths, but we have a blind sound test thread here that pretty much debunked that one perhaps a year ago.

4. NoiseNinja

NoiseNinja Experimental-psychedelic-ambient-noise-drone Banned

Feb 23, 2011
    Denmark
    They play easier and have an overall greater feel. And actually they sound better too.
    It all depends of course of your preferences and just what exactly that short scale you bought is.

5. groooooove

groooooove Supporting Member

Dec 17, 2008
    Long Island, NY
    they're smaller. more important than the scale length is the quality of the instrument. owen biddle (formerly of the roots) played a very nice callowhill 30" 6 string bass. mccartney played a 30" scale hofner.

they're generally associated with less treble, a fatter, rounder sound. theres nothing good or bad about them, they're just another very good option.

the two basses i play the most are my 35.5" 6 string, or my 30" jay turser hofner copy. contrast is nice!

6. All it means is that the distance from the nut to the bridge is approximately 30 inches rather than 34 inches. It's tuned the same and it functions in the same way. There are slight tonal differences, differences in the shape of the notes from attack to decay, you might notice less sustain with the shorter scale, you also might notice more of the fundamental note on a short scale bass because there may be less overtones. But the main difference is that because the scale length is shorter, you might find it easier for your fretting hand to play it. Physically, I prefer short scale, it just feels more fun to me.