1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

short scale basses - good ones?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by project_c, Sep 22, 2008.

1. project_c

project_c

May 8, 2008
    London, UK
    i'm doing a bit of research into short scale basses, and there seems to be a few low-end / kid basses around, but are there any REALLY good, pro sounding short scale basses out there?

2. grygrx

grygrx Lookout! Here comes the Fuzz! Supporting Member

Dec 24, 2003
    Columbia, MO
    I own two.

1. Birdsong Guitars (they have a few models, I have a HY5)
    2. Rob Allen Mouse

3. Bassic83

Bassic83

Jul 26, 2004
    Texas, USSA
    Look at the thread called "Meet Grace and Her Bass". It has a brief review of the Ibanez Mikro. Really good bass, sounds great, a wide variety of tones, and it's really comfy to play. Light weight, and it has tone for days.

4. JacobE

JacobE

Jul 19, 2008
    arent mustang basses short scale? i have no idea

5. What kind of sound are you going for and how much are you looking to spend?

6. 69limeRev

69limeRev Supporting Member

May 1, 2007
    Western Pa.
    Second on the Mouse. Best bass I've ever played/owned. Even compared to my Rickenbacker, '78 Jazz, Reverend PJ and XL5, Warrior, Wal... and quite a few others I can't think of at the moment. I think Hofner would fit in there, too!

7. Mustang basses are 30" scale and they tend to be really nice

8. project_c

project_c

May 8, 2008
    London, UK
    thanks for those suggestions. i'm gonna spend a few mins looking into those brands.
    my current bass is a warwick corvette std, which i love, so in terms of tone that's where i'm at, and in terms of money, i'm just researching right now, so i'm open to suggestions, the priority is decent sustain, low action, woody but versatile tone, and just a decent all rounder if possible.

9. project_c

project_c

May 8, 2008
    London, UK
    wow the mouse is a beauty!

10. Laredo

Laredo

Nov 27, 2005
    Upstate, NY
    SG Re-Issues (one Maple, one Mahogany)...............Very nice for that classic rock tone. They are light weight, easy players, that will hold their value over the years. They are actually a 30.5" scale, but I doubt you would notice any difference between the SG and a 30" scale bass.:)

11. dunamis

dunamis

Aug 2, 2004
    Charlotte
    Jimmy Wilson (Landing Guitars) makes some nice, high quality short scale basses.

www.landingbass.com

12. project_c

project_c

May 8, 2008
    London, UK
    definately intrigued by the gibson too, im gonna have a closer look at that one.

13. cmewhinney

cmewhinney

Jul 11, 2008
    Concord, NH
    Talk to Chris Stambaugh about short-scale basses. My teacher has had several short-scales made by Chris and they are absolutely killer!

14. krall

krall Supporting Member

Jan 5, 2008
    Shediac, NB Canada
    Just got an SG reissue earlier today..Not bad little bass! The bridge pickup is quite punchy..I'm bringing it to my tech guy tomorrow to properly set it up to my liking..I recommend this bass!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. project_c

project_c

May 8, 2008
    London, UK
    wow, the stambaugh basses are absolutely beautiful! never seen those before. damn. this is where i begin to drool..

16. alembicguy

alembicguy I operate the worlds largest heavey equipment Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2007
    Minnesota
    If you are looking to purchase a short scale what are you looking at spending because there is a butt load out there from cheap to rather spendy.

17. cmewhinney

cmewhinney

Jul 11, 2008
    Concord, NH
    Yeah Chris is making gorgeous stuff these days- this is off topic, but I'm actually getting a Stambaugh Hyperbass that should be done in a month or so!
    Here's one of my teacher's short scale basses that Chris made.
    Check this out:

Attached Files:

18. cmewhinney

cmewhinney

Jul 11, 2008
    Concord, NH
    And if you're concerned about the funky shape, I'm sure Chris could build you a more traditional short-scale bass. Check out luthier's access group for a great gallery of Stambaugh basses.

http://www.luthiersaccessgroup.com/gallery2.html

19. project_c

project_c

May 8, 2008
    London, UK
    nice! i love the look of his double cut-away basses.

20. I can't comment on Chris's quality until my first Stambaugh is built in my hands, but I'm not worried. Cliff Bordwell is also capable of making some killer shorties. Cliff is one of the few guys out there who is able to make something with a nice B string in 32" scale.

I also have a Mouse 30, which is a fun bass, but I'm always impressed that it has a very solid dropped D.