Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

short scale basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by x182, Apr 8, 2004.

1. x182

x182

Mar 22, 2004
    what are some good short scale basses?

2. vometia

vometia Formerly cbh

Nov 1, 2003
    Oxford
    There can be only one: Daisy Rock. :D

Chris.

3. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    I played the Epiphone Elistist EB-3 a while ago and I loved it. It could go from P bass bottom to a very nice slap sound.

Also I really like my Kramer shortscale aluminum neck fretless.

I really don't think I would want a bass that couldn't do every major techinique effectively.

4. Coutts_is_god

Coutts_is_god Guest

Dec 29, 2003
    Windsor, Ont, Canada
    Gibson Eb-o
    Viola bass
    Fender Musicman
    Squier Bronco

Perhaps that new P-bass Jr by fender.

5. andrewd

andrewd

Sep 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    would the daisy bass make a good piccolo bass? i might have to get one if that is the case. LOL

6. lyle

lyle Guest

Jan 10, 2004
    Vernon, B.C. Canada
    32" scale, medium not short but they kick ass. also the drop D brings it donw to a 36"

7. RunngDog

RunngDog

Jan 22, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    Rob Allen "Mouse" 30" Fretless:

8. x182

x182

Mar 22, 2004
    how about the new fender mustang reissue?

9. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    DC
    Didn't Stanley Clarke play a short scale Alembic? Or was that medium scale?

10. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    That was a short scale. 30". He has huge hands too, I saw a picture of him with an upright, where is left hand was wrapped around the neck and his fingers went all the way around and the tips were sticking out the other side.

My very first bass was a Dan Armstrong short scale fretless (the kind with the Lucite body, like a Geezer Butler bass). Those are getting to be collector's items now. Recently I found the spare pickup that had been in storage for like twenty years, and I got a few hundred bucks for it on eBay, the buyer was ecstatic and claimed he'd been looking for a replacement for many years without any luck.

Now if you want to talk about "really short" scale there's always the Ashbory... :)

11. yeah! those look tight, but looks arnt everything, id try one out first.

12. malthumb

malthumb

Mar 25, 2001
    The Motor City
    Stanley does use 30.75" scale Alembics with slightly modified Series I electronics. Alembic also offers a Stanley Clarke Signature line of basses that are the same body shape and scale. These can be customized to whatever wood and electronics choices the cusstomer wants.

In the attached picture, Stanley's bass is actually more similar to the one on the right. The one on the left is from the Stanley Clarke Signature line of basses. The middle dummy pick up is a dead give away.

Peace,

James

13. i had a 1967 fender mustang bass and it was pretty cool, i kind of regret selling it because of the sentimental value... nice high output and a really meaty tone, look into one from the late 70's if you are on a budget... my 67 sold for a grand a few months ago

14. is there anything else?
    did you get yours yet lyle?

if you dont like the string extension here ya go
    [​IMG]

or imagine this without the extension
    [​IMG]

15. Perfect-Tommy

Perfect-Tommy

Mar 28, 2004
    Ohio
    lol

The worst part is I was going to throw that out if no one had. I mean, a 30" that you can get in the shape of a flower or a heart? Sign me up. I'm man enough to play a purple heart
    :bassist:

16. VersozerO

VersozerO

Dec 17, 2003
    Italy
    Ashbory Bass, 18'' scale

17. vometia

vometia Formerly cbh

Nov 1, 2003
    Oxford
    I must admit I'm tempted: not only would it look wonderfully silly being played by some ugly stubbly fat bloke, I hear that they're supposed to sound pretty good as well. And if I get fed up with being laughed at I could always give it to the missus' niece and corrupt her into the world of bass playing... :)

Chris.

18. lyle

lyle Guest

Jan 10, 2004
    Vernon, B.C. Canada

yes i did get it, and after a week and a bit of playing it. woooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooow it kicks snazz out of everything ive played before. i think there's a shot of it in, show me your customs, first page. back to the point.

ya those stanley clark alembics look pretty sick, im not really a big fan off most of there stuff but that would be nice. i also remember reading some guys review. he played a kubicki, a fender kubicki, and a key. they were all rated high 9-8. the kubicki got first then the key then the fender one. keys have 34" so that could be a problem but i do strongly recomend any kubicki product :smug: .

19. dnburgess

dnburgess

Jul 20, 2003
    Sydney, Australia
    Proprietor: Bass People, Green Square Music
    Custom scale length is available on most Alembics at no extra cost at the time of manufacture. I have been playing a short scale Series 1 for about 13 years and love it so much I ended up becoming the Australian representative.

20. hey dave, whats the price on an epic?
    the look really nice, especially with the flame maple top....they seem rather....kubickish :D might have to get one after i get my rig ;)

cheers