Short scale Basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by gettingthere, Jun 3, 2004.

1. gettingthere

Apr 12, 2004

I'm looking for a bass for a student of mine. He's only 11, so he doesn't quite have the arm lenght for a 34", so I'm trying to find a short scale; maybe something like the P-Bass Jr. He doesn't really like the P-Bass style, so what are his options? I'm looking for something <30". Thanks much!
  2. Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    Eb-0's are good beginner basses, though the neck drop is annoying.. I remember having one two months after I started.. I was playing in Les Miserables, the school play at the time. The neck was flying everywhere when I let go of it.. Knocked over many a clarinet and a music stand :p..

SX also has a short scale Jazz bass that you could check out at Rondo music.. They're cheap too :).
  3. mnemonix

Apr 27, 2004
    Fender Mustang, 30"
    Squire Bronco, 30"
    All Warwick bolt-ons, 30"
    Gibson/Epiphone EB0, 30"
    Rickenbacker 3000, 30"
    Danelectro, 30"
    Alembic, 30"
    Rob Allen Mouse, 30"
    Ampeg SSB, 30"
    Daisy Rock, 30"
    Hamer SB-4F/CS Slammer Short Scale Bass, 30"

How many options do you want ? Or rather, what's your budget and desired sound ?
  4. tuBass

Dec 14, 2002
    Mesquite, Texas
    I have been this route too, and I would suggest getting something like the essex basses. I don't know if they have any left, but you aren't going to beat them without spending way over $500 on a fender something similar.
    I bought a bronco for my son, and had to spend a lot of time bringing it the quality. The pickups and bridge were total trash, but it's OK now after major renovations.
  5. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    Wrong. Every Warwick I have ever played (only bolt on models) has been 34". I own a Corvette Standard and it is 34" scale. A short scale neck is an option when ordering a Warwick. I believe it is a three hundred dollar option.
  6. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Thusly, all Warwick bolt ons are 30", it just costs more.

He didn't say price, did he?
  7. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    Touche' :D

But consider that the cheapest a new shortscale Warwick could be find for is about 1100 dollars, it kind of eliminates it because most eleven year olds don't have that kind of money.

I second the EB0
  8. Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    "All Warwick bolt-ons, 30"" Notice how there's a comma after all warwick bolt-ons.. Specifying that he's only talking about the short scales :p
  9. Gretsch also has a nice "Les Paul" shaped 30" bass called the Jetstar Jr. if I recall properly. Guitar Center carries them.
    I didn't like the pick up as much as the Bronco (which I actually liked ok-try one before you decide..._). They run about $199-249 depending on sales. It's definitely a beginner's instrument but some who've replaced pickups down the road and put on a better bridge have used them professionally.
    The Bronco has a Strat Guitar pickup and a single coil Fender-ish sound. The Gretsch is humbucker-ish.

The EBO bolt on (Epiphone) is VERY neck heavy and has a wider than usual fingerboard. It also has a somewhat muddy sound due to it's pickup placement.

If you're spending over $500 but less than 700, I'd recommend a Fender Mustang. It would be versatile and have good resale value later.
  10. gettingthere

Apr 12, 2004
    As far as price goes, I'm not sure, since I'm not the one buying it. I would assume, since it is a beginner instrument, <$600-700. As far as tone goes, I'm thinking a pretty well-rounded tone, versital. It should be able to take some beating too, since he is a beginner.
  11. Mongeaux

Apr 14, 2004
    Well since the kid is only 11 I would go wih the Squire Bronco. I reeeely doubt his parents are going to shell out $1000 for something he might quite in a few months.
  12. Ya shouldnt have drank so much cough syrup that morning...hahahaha!
  13. I agree....Squire Bronco...My 12 yr old son has taken to it like a fish to water....and his 34" scale bass just sits.

But he's playing his Bronco every day.....
  14. gettingthere

Apr 12, 2004
    You'd be surprised :bag:

Anway, thanks for all the info and advice! Now, to teach him to play :help: :bassist:
  15. CJK84

Jan 22, 2004
    Maria Stein, OH
    My family occassionally performs music at our Catholic church services.

Because I can play the guitar, I've chosen that instrument for these performances and have made my oldest son play the bass. He's not really into it, but tolerates it and does a decent job.

Anyway, he has played my long-scale (35") Peavey Cirrus 4 since he was only nine.

He's playing basic stuff and sometimes plays farther up the neck than a bassist typically would, but he can do a pretty good job (now that he's 11 it's easier).

My point is that, by employing good technique and making modest modifications (to avoid excessive stretching), a young person can probably learn on an "oversized" bass.

Maybe that won't work for everyone, but it might be a viable (and cheaper) option for some young people - rather than buying a short scale bass that the child outgrows in a few years.