Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Short scale basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by AltIII, Oct 9, 2002.

1. AltIII

AltIII

Sep 3, 2002
    Yo, anyone know of any shorter scale basses (fender mustang-esq) that have a great sounds as well as a neck thats friendly to small hands?
    I currently have a squier P-bass, and it works great for the most part, but my band only has one guitarist and sometimes I play power chords w/ an octave pedal to compensate for a lack of rythm guitar.

so first question; isn't that an awesome idea? works for us.

second question; what's a good shortie?

2. I know fender has just started making the mustang again. I don't know how much it goes for, but it's got to be better than the bronco. Don't know of many other high-end short scale basses
    If you are interested, I will post a link to some upgrades I made on my son's bronco.http://monsterweights.freeservers.com/photo2.html

3. AltIII

AltIII

Sep 3, 2002
    Hmm, looks nice, but would you be willing to go into greater detail? Like, what humbucker covers did you use, how'd you cut them. Did you have do to do any damage to the body? Also, are there other pickup options I can consider, like a sidewinder or single coil (just off the top of my head, I know they kinda suck)

Damn, I wish my dad knew how to do this stuff. My dad know's little about guitars, but if you want him to fix a clarinet or a trombone, he's you man. My grandfather has made acoustics and violins before, and he was an electrician, but he's dead.

4. Alembic makes a stanley clarke model which is a 30" or 32" scale.
    The stu hamm fender UrgeI bass(Made in USA) is a 32" scale, as is Kubicki X factor bass.
    frank

5. rllefebv

rllefebv

Oct 17, 2000
    Newberg, Oregon
    1978 Fender Musicmaster... This bass just flat out ROARS!

[​IMG]

I bought this bass for nostalgic reasons, (my original one, which was identical, had been stolen years before), and took it on a gig as a lark... Played nice, but the volume and tone controls were choking it. I did a complete bypass, wiring the pickup straight to the output jack, and that little Strat pickup just came alive!! It's going on the bench in a few weeks for a re-finish/re-wire, so I'll be missing it for a bit. It sees nearly 50% of my stage time...

I do hear good things about the Broncos, but haven't gotten my hands on one as yet...

-robert

6. mans0n

mans0n

Jun 15, 2002
    without a doubt a Gretsch Electromatic Juniour Jet

great basss i own one, sounds great and i get many compliments on it

30" scale and 20 frets vintagy tone, sounds great with flatwounds..... all around good bass, list price was $650 i got it as a gift, dunno how much was paid

highly recomended! ;)

(her name is Gretschen)

[​IMG]

7. bikeplate

bikeplate Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY
    Hi!

I have an Alembic spoiler that I bought brand new in '83!! Still have it. I played hundreds of gigs with it and it is now retired. It has a 32" scale. They are great basses, handmade. Short scale basses tend to lack the tone of a 34" or 35" bass. I'd get in the habit of getting comfortable with a standard scale bass(34" scale) You and your bandmates will be glad you did. You can hear the difference

Rob

8. I got a two pack of allparts black plastic pickup covers, cut them lengthwise, and glued them together to create a pickup coverthat is taller than a normal cover. I think Dimarzio makes a cover for that pickup, but I didn't feel like ordering it. I had to open up the inside cavity under the pickguard just a little to make the new pickup fit, but nothing that shows from the outside.
    It really wasn't that hard, a little practice with a soldering iron, and a sanding bit on a dremel tool, and that was about all I used.
    I already had the bass, and got the pickup for pratically nothing, so for your case I would suggest go ahead and getting a mustand or one of the other basses the other guys have suggested. You can do $200 worth of improvements to a bronco, and still have a bronco when you are done.

9. AltIII

AltIII

Sep 3, 2002
    I already have a standard scale bass (squier p-bass).
    I tried out a bronco bass at the used guitar shop, I love the neck, hate the sound. I can get pretty funky with that thing. Of course I also enjoyed the Rickenbacker they had there, but who doesn't like a nice rick?

10. natebass

natebass

Sep 6, 2001
    Bremerton, WA
    a real common mod I've seen is to take an EMG strat pickup and install it on the Bronco, get a P-bass style wiring (volume & tone - no real active eq) and use that - it will give you a pretty good tone from a bronco bass (or any other that use that size rout).

11. Gretsch TK-300

or

Rickenbacker Model 3000

are both EXCELLENT sounding short-scale basses

12. Wownirvana

Wownirvana

Jul 7, 2002
    Athens, GA
    I know squires get knocked around cause of their name but they make an awesome short scale musicmaster reissue. Theres one at my local pawn shop that I'm gonna buy in about three weeks once I get up about $200. It sounds really awesome (especially for a squire) and I love the short scale neck. I think it looks cool too with the matching colored headstock. They come in pink and black (maybe white) and are squire vista series basses. If you look hard enough you can find one in good condition.

13. That's too much to spend on a bronco. You can get them for $150 new.
    Never seen one with a matching headstock.

Mark

14. Sonic

Sonic Lord of the Grump

I know this'll sound tacky, but I love squire musicmasters. I'm gonna buy one at the music store whan I get some money. I think I'll use it for something I bring to school (back pack bass). If I get it I'm gonna fix it up some though. It's funny they're the only Squires I like. This is somewhat tacky because I look horrible with a short scale, I'm 6'1 and look kinda funna with a small bass.

15. Nothing tacky about liking something. Nobody can tell you what it good or bad. I have just never seen a Squire called a musicmaster, only the short scale, single pickup model they call a bronco. Here's a link to a picture and price of one, is this what you were looking at? The musicmaster was also a short scale, single pickup bass, with a slightly different pickguard.

Musician's friend page for the bronco bass

16. rllefebv

rllefebv

Oct 17, 2000
    Newberg, Oregon
    A few years ago, the Musicmaster was re-issued under the Squire brand... They made a ton of them in pink, (to try to appeal to the young ladies, one would guess), and I saw several in black. All I saw were with white pickguards. Not bad players... I almost picked one up when they were blowing 'em out at GC for $99, but like a stooge, I passed. They had a pretty nice pickup with four pole pieces as opposed to the six on my bass pictured earlier, (yes, that really is a Strat pickup that they used on the older ones!)...

I like the maple board on the new Broncos... Maybe I should talk to the wife?!?!?

-robert

17. BassAxe

BassAxe

Jul 22, 2002
    Culpeper, VA
    I have a Fender Musicmaster.

It has a nice "thump," can't slap on it, though. Check out reviews on Harmony-Central. I've seen them available on eBay.

18. BassAxe

BassAxe

Jul 22, 2002
    Culpeper, VA
    It's always easier to get forgiveness than it is to get permission. :D

19. radapaw

radapaw

Mar 22, 2000
    Ottawa, Canada
    I just picked up a Squier -vista - Musicmaster about a month ago, and I have to say I'm REALLY happy with it. It's like they took the original fendermusicmaster and fixed the ****ty parts. ( intonation on all 4 strings! CRAzY!).

It looks better build that the mexican Fender Urge I used to have ( the neck pocket had massive gaps). It doesn't have a lot of tones, but what it's got , it does well. Don't let that name fool you!

20. the PINK squire musicmasters were popular in canada 4 or 5 years ago... i almost bought one, cause the one i played was REALLY WELL MADE - good woods even!

(it was a tad overpriced - just came out I think- & I really really really didnt need another bass at the time, else it probably would have joined the fold...)