Short Scale BEAD issue

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by marypopperz, Oct 11, 2017.

1. marypopperz

marypopperz

Oct 11, 2017
    First of all, hello to everyone here, as I'm a new member :)

I own a Gibson EB3 (which I love so much), never had any issue with standard tuning.

With my other basses (a Jazz and a P), I'm used to tune BEAD for some years now and I really want to tune the EB3 this way too.

So I picked up a brand new set of my regular d'addario BEAD strings (I buy single strings 125-90-70-50 for balanced tension). Everything worked out fine except the B string is out of tune only the first frets (1st to 8th, 1st being worst), I don't understand because intonation is perfect at 12th fret (both harmonic and fretted) and after.

I've tried a .130 instead of .125 and same issue.

If anyone has an idea on how I could solve this, Help would be very appreciated.

Thanks

2. charlie monroe

charlie monroe Gold Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2011
    Buffalo, NY
    Are the notes on your B flat or sharp?

3. marypopperz

marypopperz

Oct 11, 2017
    Flat

4. charlie monroe

Feb 14, 2011
    Buffalo, NY
    Hmmm. I expected to hear you say sharp.

I thought that your nut slot may be too high causing you to pull the notes sharp when you fret them.

I'm stumped atm.

mech likes this.
  5. marypopperz

marypopperz

Oct 11, 2017
    Maybe nut too low then ?

6. charlie monroe

Feb 14, 2011
    Buffalo, NY
    Maybe, but I suspect that would lead to fretbuzz more than anything else.

There are members that are expert in this field. Hang around and you will get some pro help.

7. mech

mech In Memoriam

Jun 20, 2008
    Meridian, MS, USA
    96tbird and charlie monroe like this.
  8. marypopperz

marypopperz

Oct 11, 2017
    Thanks, I'll check it out

mech likes this.
  9. RSBBass

RSBBass

Jun 11, 2011
    NYC
    I hope setting the witness point helps. That said that is a pretty big string at fairly low tennsion and you may enough slack in it that an even vibratio is difficult to obtain. Is the second fret out also?

10. marypopperz

marypopperz

Oct 11, 2017
    Yes, until 8th fret but mostly 1st 2nd and 3rd

11. charlie monroe

Feb 14, 2011
    Buffalo, NY
    How did you make out?

Did you get it sorted?

12. marypopperz

marypopperz

Oct 11, 2017
    I tried again but the B string broke when tuning it, it can happen as the biggest part has to be around the tuner if using long scale strings.

I've ordered some short scale strings with low B and hope that'll help.

charlie monroe likes this.
  13. Anders Barfod

Anders Barfod

Jan 16, 2015
    A 125 string tuned to low B on a 30.5" scale sounds really soft. I Think a certain tension is needed for that string to act correct and that is probably not less than 30 lbs. This is the tension of daddario xl 125 on a 34" scale. You get 35 lbs of tension with a 135 xl string on a 34" scale.

Personally i would keep the short scale eb3 in standard tuning and keep a jazz in bead. The strenght of the short scale are a rounder sweeter sounding D and G strings compared to the 34" long scale when tuned to EADG

14. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 19, 2022