1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Short scale build

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by quindecima, Dec 19, 2018.

1. I have been thinking about a SC bass from Birdsong but Don't have the necessary geedus so I have been thinking about a Warmoth build. I went to their site but there are a myriad of options to sift thru. I know the Birdsongs are 31in. but Warmoth has 30 and 32. Then there are the pups, do I get two alike or different ones, then there is the problem of string thru or not string thru...…….I think I will open a bottle of the grape and sift thru this. I think I can do this for about 1K as opposed to 2.4 from Birdsong. I have never built one but I am a flooring contractor by trade and have done tons of wood floors and sand and finishing. Can I have some input on this please..

2. dmt

dmt

Apr 19, 2003
    Orbiting Sol
    30" scale (32" is medium scale, and you said you want a short scale build, so...)

1 terrific pickup in the middle a la a P bass.

If you intend to use rounds, go with string thru body — that way you have a better string selection because you can use regular scale strings. Also, it’s perhaps easier on the bridge.
    If you intend to use flats, top load as you’ll have more string selection options. Also, it’s one less step to build.
    If you don’t want to commit, allow for both.

You can do it :thumbsup:

3. What bridge would I use if I was going to allow for both?

4. rockscott

rockscott

Aug 28, 2010
    massachusetts
    All birdsong basses are designed to use longscale strings! Every time I play my birdsong im amazed at the feel of the neck and the quality of the build. My birdsong shortbass has a very p bass tone with a bit of upright bass. Talk to scott at birdsong about the specific tone you desire!

5. mongo2

mongo2

Feb 17, 2008
    Da Shaw
    After trying several, that's exactly what I found in the Mustang PJ I purchased recently. Somewhat surprising to me but that's how it is. I'm gigging in a jazz duo with a guitarist and he finds it to be so as well.

6. I have lusted after a Cortobass for some time but am hampered by the price, I May wait on the Warmoth build for one to show up used.

7. rockscott

rockscott

Aug 28, 2010
    massachusetts
    A birdsong short bass with hardshell case will run you around $1000.00 I cant even imagine how nice the upper level basses are based on the quality of my short bass! I was about to order a sadhana but my preapproval for a big mortgage came through at the same time so I had to go with the short bass, no regrets! I have a Spanish cedar body with a maple neck/fretboard. I love the lace sensor pickup, the light weight, perfect balance, amazing action, beautiful feel and the tone! Pure beautiful passive tone with sustain that goes on forever! Birdsongs shortbass is a steal for a grand!