1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Short Scale EBMM bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Edmang, Jan 22, 2017.

1. mbell75

mbell75

May 23, 2016
    Horrible. Just give us a SS Stingray! Oh and they said medium scale, not short scale.

2. king_biscuit

king_biscuit Supporting Member

May 21, 2006
    US
    Prediction: If this is a bass version of the Vincent guitar, it will be the worst selling production EB bass of all time.

gebass6 and DiabolusInMusic like this.
  3. consectaneus

consectaneus

Sep 23, 2016
    Possibly, but with what may prove to be essentially a 3 pickup T-bird with EBMM quality, I see stock in Gas-X going up.

Bugeyed Earl and melloncollie like this.
  4. birdman14

birdman14

Feb 7, 2011
    Boston
    No surprise, as St Vincent played harmony bobkats and a Danelectro before moving to MM.

big_NiOAH3e.

Anni%2BClark%2B-%2BSt.%2BVincent%2B-%2Bw%2BSilvertone%2BDano%2B1457.

phillipkregg likes this.
  5. phillipkregg

phillipkregg Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2010
    Nashville, TN
    Wanna bring this back to ask a year later... any new info on this bass?

Yi5fWN9.

gebass6 likes this.
  6. mbell75

mbell75

May 23, 2016
    No new info Ive seen and he clearly says "medium" scale in that video. Not a short scale which is 30", medium is 32". I want a SHORT scale.

7. gebass6

gebass6 We're not all trying to play the same music.

May 3, 2009
    N.E Illinois
    The prediction came true.
    Awful design.
    Awful.

8. creaturegods

creaturegods

Sep 23, 2017
    in order for that prediction to "come true," the bass would have had to actually be in production at some point.

9. gebass6

gebass6 We're not all trying to play the same music.

May 3, 2009
    N.E Illinois
    Quite likely cancelled on the drawing board.

10. creaturegods

creaturegods

Sep 23, 2017
    Like the Bongo should have been :D
    Glad to see that EBMM is learning some restraint.

king_biscuit and gebass6 like this.
  11. tadawson

tadawson

Aug 24, 2005
    Lewisville, TX
    Seriously? The Bongo is a breath of fresh air and innovation is a sea of "me too" clone mediocracy . . . . My Bongo's are keepers, but it's hard to regard "traditional" P styles as much more than firewood with strings . . . IE totally disposable . . .

12. king_biscuit

May 21, 2006
    US

I don't believe bass players are demanding innovation, they like P basses. It's companies like EB that are demanding we buy their "innovative" new products. All of this "moving the bass out of the 50s" business from EB is just self-serving sales talk.

Here's the new EB/BMW grand piano design -- moving it out of the 1700s:

Unknown-1.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2018
  13. king_biscuit

May 21, 2006
    US

Seriously, what is so innovative about the Bongo besides it's somewhat "artistic" body shape? It's just a another wooden body/neck active bolt on bass with magnetic pickups, 34 inch scale, frets in the normal places, nut, headstock, four saddle metal bridge, etc., all in a standard issue EB/SKB plastic case -- I preferred the older (and I'm sure more expensive to manufacture) wood/tolex cases btw.

14. tadawson

tadawson

Aug 24, 2005
    Lewisville, TX
    Well, style, electronics, sound . . . . A shorter question to answer would be what's not, and that would be answered with "It still has strings and frets" . . . :) :) And I guess as a bass player, my goal has never been to "just sound like every other guy out there" by playing the same bass and sound as everyone else . . .

And I'll take the SKB any day over easily breakable wood, thank you! The only thing that could be better would be Pelican, but they don't make instrument cases . . .

And sorry, but "Tolex" makes me gag pretty hard . . . same tacky, crappy, stuff they made car vinyl roofs out of in the 60's and it hasn't gotten any better! Tacky! Tacky! Tacky! (at least to me . . . ).

15. king_biscuit

May 21, 2006
    US
    Innovative means new advanced ideas. EB didn't invent active electronics or a body shape different than a P bass. When Leo Fender invented the first usable electric bass that was innovative. When Alembic did a radical laminated hardwood active bass in the 70s perhaps it was innovative, when Steinberger did a composite graphite neck through stick shaped bass with active electronics in the early 80s that was innovative. When Dingwall (or whoever it was) introduced the fanned-fret bass that was innovation. The Bongo brings nothing new to the table.

16. tadawson

tadawson

Aug 24, 2005
    Lewisville, TX
    Nope, but you'd be hard pressed to show me anyone building a preamp that matches the Bongo . . . and overpriced "Furniture" is not innovation - by anyone, no matter the price . . . Feel free to keep your head in the sand - I'm OK with it . . . more Bongo's for those of us who don't want to live and play in the 1960's . . . . :) :)

17. Bigal1369

Bigal1369

Dec 7, 2015
    Los Angeles
    How about a custom stingray short scale bass. If there's a will there a way. Mose's carbon fiber necks made me a custom neck for my stingray. I got into accident could not use 34" scale any more. I loved my stingray that had custom neck for it Tone wise still the same moster.But Sustain wow much better with this neck. Bass is great for sitting down and playing. I'm an old fart so it to heavy for my back. For young gun with good back and enjoys Short scale bass guitar. This is a winner winner chicken dinner. I have lighter short scale baas that I use. 7.5lbs is my max on short scale bass. 20170713_224321. 20170713_223903. 20170713_223903. 20170713_224100.

18. king_biscuit

May 21, 2006
    US

Don't worry, there will be plenty of Bongos out there for you to buy. In fact any GC that ordered a couple when they were introduced in 03 probably has at least one left... :)

Bassist Jay likes this.
  19. bovinehost

bovinehost Supporting Member

Dec 5, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: Ernie Ball Music Man/Sterling By Music Man
    Yep, there is a lot of truth in that. Fender, with the caveat that certain years might just suck like black holes, has been taking it to the bank since the 50s. Can't say I blame them. Leo was gone by the mid-60s and they have been pretty much content to just keep cranking out the P basses.

On Thursdays, they do Jazz basses cuz it's all so EDGY.

And every now and then, when Fender DOES build something that isn't a P or J, we as a community don't buy enough of them to make it worth it for FMIC. Cuz we likes our Pee basses.

Demanding? I have perhaps missed that entirely. "BUY THIS BONGO OR THE GIRL GETS IT" might have been a fun ad campaign, actually, but let's get serious. No one demands that we buy anything. Hell, EBMM hardly does any print adverts at all for the basses. Maybe we could talk to Fender about this, though. "BUY THIS DIMENSION OR WE WON'T BUILD PEE BASSES FOR TWO YEARS, WE MEAN IT."

Ah, back to slagging Bongos again after all these years, are we? They're really good basses, you know. Might not be your favorite design but so what? They sure SOUND and PLAY great.

muggsy likes this.
  20. creaturegods

creaturegods

Sep 23, 2017
    I'll take the blame for bringing up the Bongo at all. it seems i didn't make my point clear enough. For the record, I do think the design of the Bongo is horrible but I'm never going to buy (or be able to afford) one so I don't really care. if people play them and like them, that's fine.

My point is that there have been a LARGE amount of posts absolutely trashing the St. Vincent short-scale bass, a design that literally does not exist on the retail market and has never been shown to the public. Everything from "WHO??," to "Pete Wentz is more famous," to "That is a hideous design" (??? maybe they mean the guitar design?).

Now, I don't want to bust out of the gate screaming "SEXISM!!" but the amount of people willing to dismiss or even actively insult a design that hasn't been officially announced or released by Ernie Ball while at the same time praising the company for their "innovation" and "willingness to take chances" on the bongo hints at an issue deeper than "hey, thats just personal preference."

gebass6 and Bugeyed Earl like this.