1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Short Scale EBMM bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Edmang, Jan 22, 2017.

1. tadawson

tadawson

Aug 24, 2005
    Lewisville, TX
    Odd, around here, they don't linger long . . . And while I'm not happy with GC not ordering many more (hell, they don't seem to order anything in higher end basses from anyone any more . . . just cheap firewood for the kiddies . . . ) it's not a problem . . . I have three, and while I'd still like a 4HS, I can live OK without it . . .

2. king_biscuit

king_biscuit Supporting Member

May 21, 2006
    US

GC are not ordering them, because they don't sell well. Hey, I like EB products, I have 5 Stingrays and a Big Al.

3. muggsy

muggsy

Dec 14, 2000
    Alexandria, VA
    Over the past few years, EBMM has discontinued models (Big Al, Reflex) and options (pickup combinations, colors) that didn't sell well. If they weren't selling many Bongos, I don't doubt they'd pull the plug. But the Bongo preamp kicks ass, the body shape is extremely playable, and they're obviously selling enough to keep making them. Interesting that you have a Big Al (I do, too) because many found that body shape as polarizing as the Bongo.

4. mongo2

mongo2

Feb 17, 2008
    Da Shaw
    I had a Bongo for a while and found the body to be very comfortable but the neck simply wasn't for me. I wouldn't mind a shortscale Bongo with a more narrow neck and a single pickup in the middle position.

5. tadawson

tadawson

Aug 24, 2005
    Lewisville, TX
    Was that because they really were not selling, or the GC sales-dinks didn't have the mental firepower to present them in a good light, as opposed to all the "me-too!" firewood? Granted, perhaps not a typical set, but most of the bassists I know have Bongo's . . . and those who don't, don't have Fenders either . . .

Of course, you don't see a lot of Ferraris either, but that does not mean that a typical POS Ford is a better car . . . Just more "in reach" for many . . . same goes here. MM gear is not exactly cheap, and GC lately seems to not have much in the bass dept. over about $750 . . . .

Last edited: Jun 11, 2018
  6. ItsmeSantiago

ItsmeSantiago

Nov 23, 2015
    Now you're getting somewhere. The Bongo electronics are the best I've ever used, and I've used plenty of aftermarket stuff. I think that's why EB is putting them in the revamped Stingrays.

7. king_biscuit

May 21, 2006
    US
    A lot of people drive Fords because they like them and can afford them. What do you drive?

8. king_biscuit

May 21, 2006
    US
    I disagree. The Bongo is Sterling Ball's baby, and he has a lot of his ego and reputation invested in it. I don't think it's going to be discontinued any time soon.

9. muggsy

muggsy

Dec 14, 2000
    Alexandria, VA
    I don't think it's going to be discontinued either, but not because it's Sterling's baby. My point was, if something doesn't sell, they pull the plug. EBMM has been making Bongos for 15 years, and somebody is buying them. They're not for everyone.

10. Bassist Jay

Bassist Jay

Dec 28, 2009
    Sterling, CO.
    In 2016 or 2017, when Music Man discontinued the Game Changer, Reflex, Big Al, Sabre, various JP guitar models, piezo bridges on the basses and single H and I think HS pickup options on the 5 and 6 string Bongo’s, I think it was Sterling, that said the Bongo barely made the cut. With the single H being one of his favorite options, I was surprised to see that option only kept on the 4 strings.

With Music Man raising prices across the board on all instruments and on average, by $600.00 on every bass, even though no changes were made to any of the models, except for the Stingrays, I imagine Bongo sales will be even fewer.

With the exception of the new Stingrays, my guess is even Sterlings, Stingray Classics, Caprice and Cutlass basses will also see a drop in sales. When the market for those instruments used is around no higher than $1,200.00 for standard production basses, why would anyone pay $1,000.00 or more new only to have the depreciation drop that much.

If Music Man is saying they had to raise prices by $600.00 on basses to help profits, I really think they just shot themselves in the foot. I could see maybe a $200.00 price increase on the basses that saw no changes made but not $600.00. Then with the Cutlass and Caprice basses, they should have left their price point alone to better compete with other purely passive basses like the Precision’s. Why would anyone pay North of $2,000.00 for a standard passive bass that is mass produced?

Best of luck to them. They lost me as a customer.

11. tadawson

tadawson

Aug 24, 2005
    Lewisville, TX
    Volvo or Volkswagen currently, looked hard at Mercedes as well. I wouldn't be caught dead in a Ferd . . . although a lotmof the choice is what fits my height.

12. Sid the Kid

Sid the Kid Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2013
    Illinois
    I couldn’t agree more. It is almost like they are trying to price themselves out of the bass market entirely, or just hoping to seriously clean up on those dudes who just have to have a new MM Ray.

Leo would be ashamed, but then again turnover is high in the ol Fender casket. (Bah dum-tssss) Ah, no respect...

Bassist Jay and mouthmw like this.
  13. king_biscuit

May 21, 2006
    US

We've had two VWs and both were pretty poorly made. Constant electrical issue, and the interiors -- especially the soft rubbery surfaces -- just fell apart over time. Also the headliner in the wife's Jetta started falling down before we traded it for a BMW, which is actually not much better. They were all made as poorly as possible while maintaining acceptable sales. None of them were any better than Fords or Chevys.

14. tadawson

tadawson

Aug 24, 2005
    Lewisville, TX
    4 TDI's and 1 Jetta gasser in the family. Zero issues with any here. Upper trim lines thatI find farnicer and better done than most stuff from US companies, and I am constantly happy that VW didn't go to one of those idiotic 'screen and wheel' interfaceslike BMW and others! Consider ride quality, etc as well, and they dwarf Ford . . .

Last edited: Jun 12, 2018
  15. king_biscuit

May 21, 2006
    US
    Yeah, ours were upper trim level too and they were junk. Certainly no better than Ford, Chevy, Honda, etc...

I'm curious why you are not actually quoting my posts (as I've not done here to yours) to which you are responding, which means I'm not getting notifications that you are actually responding?

16. king_biscuit

May 21, 2006
    US
    Looking over the consumer reports 10 best cars from 2016, there is a Honda, a Chevy, and a Ford on the list, but no Volkswagens... I'm not saying consumer reports knows much, but I pretty sure thy know more than you :)

10 Top Picks of 2016: Best Cars of the Year

17. muggsy

muggsy

Dec 14, 2000
    Alexandria, VA
    Yes, we are all aware of that. I'm not sure why you feel the need to keep saying it in every EBMM thread, and to continue to question why anyone would buy new after the price increase. Sterling made a business decision. Maybe it works, maybe it doesn't. But it sure seems like you're taking it personally.

bovinehost likes this.
  18. bovinehost

bovinehost

Dec 5, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: Ernie Ball Music Man/Sterling By Music Man
    I don't imagine the Bongo is outselling black/maple Stingray 4s, but it apparently does well enough to keep it in the mix. Someone else said it was "Sterling's baby" and that alone would keep it alive; I find that questionable at best. He was heavily involved in the Game Changer, the Reflex, the Big Al and many of the 6 string offerings. If they don't sell enough to justify the space and time involved, they go away.

Because some people like shiny new things, Jay. Depreciation isn't solely applicable to Music Man instruments. Buy a new Fender, play it for a couple of weeks and put it up for sale for what you paid for it. You'll be owning that one for a very long time. Like driving a car off the lot.

This is the only song you know lately and you do still like to play it, don't you? This was the first price increase in a very, very long time, Jay. Your opinion is that it was just too much, and you've stated it ad nauseum and some people agree with you and some don't. We get it. Don't you think you've beaten the horse, which is definitely expired, enough now? It's beginning to seem like a bit of a crusade.

It doesn't look good on you. IMO.

Jack

19. tadawson

tadawson

Aug 24, 2005
    Lewisville, TX
    Yeah, and when we bought our first in 2013, the Passat TDI was considered the cream of the crop . . . and none of that changes the fact that every Ford I have been in drives and rides like total crap . . . and *that* they don't measure, or maybe other folks like car sthat ride somewhere between Grandma's couch and a steamship . . . and (personal observation here) don't lok like a deranged blowfish . . .

That, and in many years, I have never found a Ford I could be comfortable in for very long, and when that's thecase, the rest is irrelevant . . . The lack of any diesel offering being a second instant disqualifier . . .

Of course, Ferrari, Lambo, etc. don't necessarily getthe highest rating either . . . but are still stellar cars . . .

And your attitue is getting very, very, old . . . . but a trent is showing up clearly. You *love* mediocraty! Fords, Fenders, etc. . . . . never anything different our in any way 'out of the box', and that's your preference, and I reapect that!

Last edited: Jun 12, 2018
  20. king_biscuit

May 21, 2006
    US

My attitude, lol, you are the angriest person in this thread. Not sure why you can't enjoy your VW and Bongo without belittling other brands, and by extension the owners of those brands. I've had VWs and Musicmans, and I have 6 Musicmans now, probably more than you... I have never owned a Ford or Chevy, btw, I'm a Jeep guy and currently drive a Hardrock Rubicon Unlimited. For some reason, though, unlike you, I don't feel the need to tell Ford owners their cars suck.