1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Short Scale EBMM bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Edmang, Jan 22, 2017.

1. king_biscuit

king_biscuit Supporting Member

May 21, 2006
    US

This is the actual quote: "Guess what the Bongo is still a commercial failure that just barely survived the chopping block." Bold innovation would be nice again

Bassist Jay likes this.
  2. Bassist Jay

Bassist Jay

Dec 28, 2009
    Sterling, CO.
    I’m sure that you are correct on that. I forget the post made on the EBMM forum but as expected, when the models got discontinued, I think it was Sterling that brought up the lack of sales of those models. I’m trying to go off memory but I think it was Sterling that said the Bongo barely made the cut.

I was surprised to see the single H Bongo 5’s and 6’s get axed. At the time of the axing, I was actually planning on ordering a Stealth Bongo 5H. The one Bongo 5 that I have is a HH Guitar Center Exclusive. Having had 2 other 4 string Bongo’s in a HH and a HHp configuration in the past, I don’t hate the configuration but ironically like Sterling, I have come to prefer the single H pickup configuration more. But I was also the same way with the Stingray and Sterling basses as well.

3. JustANut

JustANut

Aug 24, 2017
    Well cool, i've been looking at the little advert that came in a pack of slinkys i bought a long time ago and wishing they'd make a bass with that body. Still gonna be too rich for my blood though. Here's to 5-10 years of waiting for a cheap used one to come about.

4. Bassist Jay

Bassist Jay

Dec 28, 2009
    Sterling, CO.
    @bovinehost, it was NOT the price increase that made them lose me as a customer. It was Sterlings attitude for asking a question and making a suggestion. I’m not saying he had to implement my suggestion but he certainly didn’t need to get pissed. He has complained about lack of sales for a while. I offered a solution and simply asked why it couldn’t be done when by doing it, that would increase profits and most likely sales and to put my money where my mouth is, I even offered to place an order too. Again, I’m not pissed it wasn’t implemented but am ticked at how he handled it.

I don’t know if I am considered a long time customer or not due to the fact that I didn’t buy my first Music Man until 2010 but from 2010 to 2017, I purchased approximately 20 basses and guitars with all being brand new except for the first 1.

Had Sterling simply said my idea was simply something they didn’t want to do and didn’t even give me a reason, I wouldn’t have cared but instead, he got offended. That is why I made my decision.

5. bovinehost

bovinehost Supporting Member

Dec 5, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: Ernie Ball Music Man/Sterling By Music Man
    I've tried before to explain to you what happened but you apparently aren't interested. Long story short: the suggestion you made is not new. It's been done about a billion times. And if you're going to propose changes to the factory and in fact the entire EBMM business structure, maybe an email or a meeting would have been better than a public forum.

Which is what I said before.

muggsy likes this.
  6. Bassist Jay

Bassist Jay

Dec 28, 2009
    Sterling, CO.
    I believe full custom shops have been offered before but never to my knowledge, a partial custom shop of giving the ability to only order custom finishes or or woods kept in stock for other models. I also said before, that I wasn’t going to message Sterling because he has asked people not to do

By also making a post of the idea, it also gave people a chance to give feedback on the idea and if a lot of people wanted to place an order or comment they would support that, Sterling could see the responses and maybe green light it.

Here is the thing, I know sometimes similar or same questions get asked frequently. But why get bent out of shape? Others have noticed it too, that Sterling gets this way if anything about Music Man is criticized.

Even when done so in a constructive, non attacking type of manner. Things like a weak G string, limited colors and/or options, customers unable to get replacement components unless they return the original and do a 1 for 1 exchange.

Then you add a mod emailing me and making some statements that were partially untrue and on one thing, I still have no clue what he is talking about?

My family and I will still always be appreciative and grateful for what Sterling and forum members did but that doesn’t mean that I now have to agree with everything they do, or deserve to have him go off because he didn’t like a question asked that he feels is asked frequent. Although, if it is asked frequent, that has to make me wonder, why not listen to the customers and give them what they want? I have a hard time seeing how anything that can increase sales and profits both, for a company, would be a bad thing? But that is his business to run, however he wants.

7. king_biscuit

May 21, 2006
    US

And I'll bet I have you beat on not getting laughed at while gigging :)

8. tadawson

tadawson

Aug 24, 2005
    Lewisville, TX
    'Belittling'? PC much, there? I'm not the one who started whining about an innovative design. And on the other side, I just call the facts how they fall . . .PC (and all that dimwittery) be damned. And sorry you feel that some can't handle the truth . . . it's not a problem I have, nor to I intend to dumb myself down to that point . . . Oh, and 3 Bongos and 2 Stingrays, three of which were specials . . . becha I have you beat on my "Innovative, breath of fresh air" Bongo count! :) :)

And with that, I'm out of this thread . . .

Last edited: Jun 14, 2018 at 9:54 PM
  9. tadawson

tadawson

Aug 24, 2005
    Lewisville, TX
    I don't want to be the guy sounding like the mob playing a 1970's bass . . . IE, utterly unremarkable . . . .

Last edited: Jun 14, 2018 at 9:53 PM
  10. Scott Ball

Scott Ball Commercial User

Wednesday
    Ernie Ball Music Man
    Well there is that and the fact we'll have shipped 500+ this year.

muggsy and king_biscuit like this.
  11. Bassist Jay

Bassist Jay

Dec 28, 2009
    Sterling, CO.
    Congratulations. If Sterling said the Bongo barely survived the chopping block, it sounds like they are now doing much better than in years past. Or if the annual numbers are around the same average as this years numbers, then I’m sure Bongo fans hope it still survives the chopping block in the present and future.

12. Scott Ball

Wednesday
    Ernie Ball Music Man
    Hey Jay, believe it or not, Bongos have sold better at retail since we streamlined the options.

Bassist Jay likes this.
  13. Bassist Jay

Bassist Jay

Dec 28, 2009
    Sterling, CO.
    Can I message you or do you prefer not to be messaged as well? I have a question and don’t want to make the thread go off topic.

14. Scott Ball

Wednesday
    Ernie Ball Music Man
    Sorry, but I won't answer PM's. Also, my purpose here is help give facts and not dive into any issues or beefs.

15. king_biscuit

May 21, 2006
    US

That's great news. Y'all have really turned it around since your dad made that post calling the Bongo a commercial failure two years ago. Curious how many Stingrays you have shipped this year? At any rate, I have owned a bunch of your basses over the years and used to be a big fanboy. I still have a few including a Big Al.

16. bovinehost

Dec 5, 2002
    Years ago....2005? Was I even alive then? Anyway, Scott built me a Candy Red Bongo that quickly became the coWpilot Utility Bongo. With all the basses I have (and have had), that one is The One. One Bongo To Rule Them All. I love the others but that one is irreplaceable. I thank Scott all the time for this and that, but hoo man, the Candy Red Bongo?

DSC_0030.JPG

Of course, people wrote all over it once so that lowered the value.......

muggsy and king_biscuit like this.
  17. king_biscuit

May 21, 2006
    US

Beautiful bass Jack, and you have more than repaid EB as their chief proselytizer :)

I wonder how many of that 500 Scott mentioned above you are responsible for selling...

bovinehost likes this.
  18. Scott Ball

Wednesday
    Ernie Ball Music Man
    It's only misleading if that is how you want to interpret it. Let's say numbers slowed at retail for a number of reasons, then orders dropped, and then there was discussion about whether to keep it around or not. After we made some decisions to streamline orders when back up and so did sell through.

bovinehost likes this.
  19. king_biscuit

May 21, 2006
    US

Makes sense. I'm still curious how many Stingrays y'all have shipped this year.

20. bovinehost

Dec 5, 2002
    I love being Lord Bongo.

I sold two these last few weeks.

And I loaned a young man here locally one of mine until he has enough cash to order what he really wants. And he's hooked - plus it has Cobalt Flats on it and he called me about ten minutes after he picked it up to tell me that whatever they were, he was switching to them immediately. He's a great player, too. Already has a Classic 5, so he was ready for the Bongo.

tadawson, muggsy and king_biscuit like this.