1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Short scale: Epiphone Vs Fernandez?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by dadodetres, May 2, 2006.

1. dadodetres

dadodetres

Dec 19, 2004
    URUGUAY
    Hello!
    this is the situation: my brother is inviting his 16 year-old-friends to play often. He plays drums and is starting a band, and every time he asks me if it let him use a bass.

I can let HIM use one if my basses, but not his friends which i dont know, so we are buying a "cheap" bass.

I been wanting a short scale for a while, so i searched the clasiffed and found these:

Epiphone beatle bass for $420
    Epiphone EB-0 (SG-style with 1 hummbucker) for $320
    Fernandez beatle bass for $320

Which do you think will be the best option and why?
    Ill try to try them all before, but dont know if i can.

Thanks for any input!

2. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Of the three listed, I would go with the EB0 just because it's a solid body, not as easy to break as a hollowbody beatle bass. Seems like a lot of people on TB would recommend an SX as the best cheap shortscale, though.

3. SBassman

SBassman

Jun 8, 2003
    Northeast, US
    Absolutely.

4. dadodetres

dadodetres

Dec 19, 2004
    URUGUAY
    Add to the list an Epiphone EB-1 (the upright-like-violin-syle-platypus-bla-bass) which is 32`

And also remove both beatle copy`s, since my brother thinks they dont look good, and after all its his money too.

So it comes dowm to the EB1 Vs EB0.

Im lucky the seller of both basses is the same person, and im going to try them tommorrow. Any thing i should check? or take in consideration before or while im trying them??

Thanks for any input!

5. bongomania

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    Hermano, the EB1 is a beatle bass. It looks almost exactly the same as the other two beatles mentioned. :)

6. dadodetres

dadodetres

Dec 19, 2004
    URUGUAY
    im talking about this one:

bassep.

7. iamthebassman

iamthebassman

Feb 24, 2004
    Austin,Texas
    Endorsing Artist: Phantom Guitars, Eastwood Guitars
    I own an Epi EB-O, and have owned an Epi Viola Bass(replaced by a real Hofner).
    The EB-O is a good cheap bass but has only one sound, it has almost no high-end even with RWs, and doesn't react very well with effects such as distortion/overdrive. But if you want a good, cheap bass with a decent basic, old-school tone, it's fine.

The Epi EB-1 is a copy of the original Gibson Electric Bass(later known as the EB-1), in the Fifties, Karl Hofner's son liked the look of the solidbody Gibson bass and designed a hollowbody which, after McCartney bought one in the early Sixties, became known as the Beatle Bass. I'm pretty sure the Epi EB-1 is 30" scale not 32".
    The Epi EB-1 will probably be harder to find than the EB-O, which are usually all over ebay.

8. bongomania

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    Oh yeah, now that I see the picture I remember they did make a solidbody version back in the late 60s/early 70's. It has the same pickup, bridge, and neck as the EB0, so really your only difference is (a) if your brother likes the way it looks, and (b) which one is in better condition.

9. Pennydreadful

Pennydreadful Goin out West

Jun 13, 2005
    Arlington, Texas
    What he said. I'd go with the EB-0, myself. I like em.

10. dadodetres

dadodetres

Dec 19, 2004
    URUGUAY
    Ups, just came from trying both, and came back home with the EB1.

Played nicer, and sounded nicer also. Plus looks nicer.
    Its not an exelent bass, but it is just what i was looking for!

Thanks for all then info!

11. Minger

Minger

Mar 15, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    I say an SX...the CAR is hawt.

then again, not really for any of those basses...

12. rallykid

rallykid

Apr 28, 2006
    Davison, MI
    If it is a cheap bass buy one of the Ibanez GAXB 150's. They are cheap, the sound isn't horrible depending on what you are doing, with a little teching that can be made a lot better and they are about $160. My brother picked one up just to lay down a few lines on a couple of songs he was working on and it played surprisingly well. Also look into the Essex. I have never played one but they get great reviews here. Go as low priced as possible if it is something someone else is going to be playing, they can get by with it and if they don't like it, tell them to buy their own.

13. predmachine

predmachine

Feb 23, 2006
    While this isn't one of the options you mentioned----I would also consider a Fender Mustang. They're approx $600, but they play smooth and have a nice low end for a short scale.