Short Scale Fender Jazz Bass with PJ Pickups?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by MarMar, Dec 7, 2021.

1. MarMar

MarMar Inactive

Sep 9, 2020
    Is this such a thing? Someone is selling one and I didn't know they actually exist. It says there were a few of them made in China for a short time period. Can anyone confirm this? :bassist: A short scale jazz neck would probably be very comfortable to me, but I have never seen one.

2. blastoff99

blastoff99 Moderators Local A440 Staff Member Supporting Member

Dec 17, 2011
    Under the flight path
    Got photos? That might help the experts here.

MarMar likes this.
  3. MarMar

MarMar Inactive

Sep 9, 2020
    Here is the bass in question. vrvap3hqxssszu84rvnp.jpg

4. roccobass and MarMar like this.
  5. MarMar

MarMar Inactive

Sep 9, 2020
    WI Short Scaler likes this.
  6. Yeah, it looks very cool. I had a SS SX Jazz once that was nice too.

DJ Bebop and MarMar like this.
  7. Yup, it's really rare though. Might as well buy a Sire U5.

8. MarMar

MarMar Inactive

Sep 9, 2020
    Some people here make fun of those SX basses while others say they are good players. In my opinion, they look nice and sort of Fender-ish. I love Fender style basses and I love short scale! I wonder if an SX bass would be a good modding platform? I also like having basses that aren't commonly seen/are unique. :D

DJ Bebop and WI Short Scaler like this.
  9. MarMar

MarMar Inactive

Sep 9, 2020
    Would a Sire short scale really compare to a Fender in terms of playability and sound? Sire has a lot of fans here.

10. The one I had was really nice. I never upgraded it because before I got a 2nd Musicmaster it was intended to be my backup bass. That is one I regret getting rid of though, the neck was nice/smooth and stayed in tune and played well. There's a whole club of people on here that are very happy with them.

MarMar likes this.
  11. Lesfunk

Lesfunk Bootlegger guitars : S.I.T. Strings Supporting Member

Apr 5, 2007
    Florida USA
    It is better

mrperkolator, lowdownthump and MarMar like this.
  12. Iirc this short scale Jazz was built in a factory that usually made Squier guitars for Fender. So the difference might not be as big as you think it is.

MarMar likes this.
  13. JeezyMcNuggles

JeezyMcNuggles Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2018
    Santa Maria, CA
    I suck, but nobody really notices
    Bacchus makes a shorty jazz. Ibanez does too, but a five string.

If you want a PJ, but want a jazz neck, I'd just go with a standard mikro. Neck is tight and slim.

Riff Ranger likes this.
  14. BEADG63

BEADG63 Supporting Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Amherst, NY
    If you got a Sire U5, you wouldn't want to mod it. You'll love it as is. I have one...trust me ;) Sire U5 Mint3.JPG

15. It did exist, and was part of the Modern Player range. I played one a few times in a store, and I remember it having a very glossy neck, and being surprisingly heavy for it's size. Played nicely, sounded fine, although I liked the pickups less than the ones on the newer Player range. I also wasn't a huge fan of the all plastic pickguard & control plate, I prefer the look of a Jazz with a metal plate.

Overall, they were a good bass - right at the top end of Squier, low end of Fender pricing. Unless you get a great example of one, they probably wouldn't be noticeably better than the Sire I've seen mentioned in the thread. Also, because they're quite rare, some prices I've seen asked for them have been on the high side recently. Honestly, unless you're married to a Jazz body shape, I would be more inclined to pick up a used Player Mustang PJ.

Riff Ranger likes this.
  16. wiscoaster

wiscoaster

Mar 28, 2021
    Wisconsin
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2021
    BEADG63 and phillipkregg like this.
  17. nnnnnn

nnnnnn

Oct 27, 2018
    Australia
    There are also Jaguar PJ short scale models - body shape is getting further from the Jazz shape, but I like it more than the Mustang shape.

Riff Ranger and funkinbottom like this.
  18. wiscoaster

wiscoaster

Mar 28, 2021
    Wisconsin
    I had a Squier Jaguar PJ and it's a heavy SOB. I much prefer the Fender Mustang. It plays better and it sounds better and it's not so dang heavy. It is, however, more $$$$, and if it's worth it ... well, that's anybody's free choice.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2021
  19. You might look up the old Stu Hamm Urge bass models, too. They had some 32" options with a two-octave fretboard.

Audiomicrowave and Kubicki Fan like this.
  20. hypercarrots

hypercarrots

Jan 28, 2009
    california
    fender modern player short scale jazz
    ...Modern Player Short Scale Jazz Bass, which features a 762mm (30-inch) scale length along with 18 frets and a downsized body, plus a Hot Jazz bridge pickup and Precision Bass middle pickup combination.
    https://www.musicradar.com/news/guitars/fender-launches-new-short-scale-models-604924
    cabf3cd8b78623ea606d4f4cabcb00ba-1024-80.jpg
    107a497763fdfef448b3d945e30383ab-1024-80.jpg

there was a lot of buzz about them here in the past
    Fender Modern Player Short Scale Jazz Bass - PJ

WI Short Scaler and MarMar like this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 16, 2022