Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Short Scale Flatwound - Question?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by MissingMat, Dec 25, 2005.

1. MissingMat

MissingMat

Dec 25, 2005
    Hey!

I am using a great set of Labella Flat Wound Short Scale Strings on my Fender MusicMaster.

Stupidly, I lost the packaging on the strings and I don't know what gauge they are. I want to put a new set on. Is there any way to tell what gauge they are w/ the naked eye? Does LaBella distinguish the gauge by a making on the ball or the color coat @ the headstock area of the string?

Also, how often should i be changing Flatwounds? My band plays 3-4 a week.

Thanks!

2. rllefebv

rllefebv

Oct 17, 2000
    Newberg, Oregon
    From one Musicmaster lover to another, GREAT BASS!!

There's no 'set' rule, just let your ears be your guide... Each of my P-Basses are wearing D'Addario Chromes... One set is nearly a year old and is settling in nicely. The other is a few months old, and while they sound great, (I love the Chromes!), they're a little ways away from from perfect yet...

Wipe them off after each use, and they can last years, IMO...

-robert

3. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    I have found that LaBella uses different silk wrappings at the headstock for different guages. If you told LaBella the colour, they could probably tell you the guage.

I think you should change your flatwounds every ten years whether they need it or not ;) Just kidding. But generally flats last for years. Since you generally want a good thump going dead is not a problem.

I usually replace my flats when I see a new set I just *have* to try!

rllefebv, I used to use long scale Chromes on my MusicMaster. Worked and sounded great.