1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Short Scale Flatwound - Question?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by MissingMat, Dec 25, 2005.

1. MissingMat

MissingMat

Dec 25, 2005
    Hey!

I am using a great set of LaBella Flat Wound Short Scale Strings on my Fender MusicMaster.

Stupidly, I lost the packaging on the strings and I don't know what gauge they are. I want to put a new set on. Is there any way to tell what gauge they are w/ the naked eye? Does LaBella distinguish the gauge by a making on the ball or the color coat @ the headstock area of the string?

Also, how often should i be changing Flatwounds? My band plays 3-4 a week.

Thanks!

2. rllefebv

rllefebv

Oct 17, 2000
    Newberg, Oregon
    From one Musicmaster lover to another, GREAT BASS!!

There's no 'set' rule, just let your ears be your guide... Each of my P-Basses are wearing D'Addario Chromes... One set is nearly a year old and is settling in nicely. The other is a few months old, and while they sound great, (I love the Chromes!), they're a little ways away from from perfect yet...

Wipe them off after each use, and they can last years, IMO...

-robert

3. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    I have found that LaBella uses different silk wrappings at the headstock for different guages. If you told LaBella the colour, they could probably tell you the guage.

I think you should change your flatwounds every ten years whether they need it or not ;) Just kidding. But generally flats last for years. Since you generally want a good thump going dead is not a problem.

I usually replace my flats when I see a new set I just *have* to try!

rllefebv, I used to use long scale chromes on my MusicMaster. Worked and sounded great.