1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Short Scale for Blues, Classic Rock - Dano, SG or Hofner?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by JimFog, Nov 3, 2013.

1. JimFog

JimFog Supporting Member

Sep 8, 2000
    Phila, Pa
    .......plus Country, Reggae, old RnB, Twang, Swing....etc, etc.

Been having hand/wrist issues recently (left), and want to try a short scale to see if it helps. At this point, I don't want to pay all that much, to make sure I can flip it if it's not my thing.

My tone preferences run toward classic, fat, warm and low tones. P Bass with Flats, etc.

I've owned a Hofner Icon Club and dug the tone, but found the neck a bit scrawny. This was before my hand problems, though, so it might just do the trick.

Haven't played an SG or Dano (looking at a Longhorn, mostly). My impression is that the Dano will be a bit hollow and mid-scooped, while the SG will be a bit more mid-focused, no?

The local bass market sucks, so trying ahead of time probably isn't an option.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

2. AMJBASS

AMJBASS Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2002
    Ontario, Canada
    Fender Mustang is a great compromise. Good build quality, great feeling neck. Gets very close to the P-Bass tone but a bit deeper sounding.

3. dvlmusic

dvlmusic

Jul 24, 2010
    Alameda, CA
    I'm super GASing for a Fender Pawn Shop Mustang bass. The combination of the mustang body and humbucker is super cool and would kill two holes in my collection - short scale and humbucker. The other thing is that since the pickup is still in the P-bass position it seems to have a very useable tone as opposed to most HB that are in the neck position and are all mud.

4. I've seen a lot of nice 70's Musicmasters and those sort of short scale Fenders around for great prices lately. Definitely playable, definitely flipable.

5. JimFog

JimFog Supporting Member

Sep 8, 2000
    Phila, Pa
    Cool. Add a Mustang to the list.....although they're a wee bit more pricey than the others.

6. len13

len13

Jan 3, 2011
    SF Bay Area
    I would suggest the Squier Jaguar short scale.A very nice sounding straightforward P/J setup,with a great feeling neck and very good build quality considering its $170ish price tag.Also very mod-able if you choose....I've had one for a couple of years,and with some flats on it,can cop some nice P/J tones all its own.I highly recommend it!

7. Blues and classic rock?

Grab a Gretsch 2202 off Ebay for under $200. It will do anything you need and sound amazing while doing it. The old 2202 series has the TV Jones designed pickup and it's in precisely the right spot. The short scale works beautifully on this instrument.

PB070023.

If you want to go upscale, the Gretsch 6128B (Thunderjet) is heavier but is one of the most beautifully made and nice sounding basses you will ever see. Street price is around $1695 but if you can find a used one (not easy) you can pare a few hundred off that price.

GretschG6128Bstockphoto_zps2cae2b20.

Here's another contender - the Squier Mikey Way bass. It's a bit of an odd duck with the silver metalflake, racing stripe and humbucker pickup, but it has a big sound that's well suited for classic rock and blues.

MikeyWaybass_zps3bcc5610.

How do I know? I own all three, and I play classic rock and blues.

8. leona1

leona1 Supporting Member

May 27, 2009
    these basses rock!
    built to last a lifetime.

Attached Files:

9. AaronVonRock

AaronVonRock

Feb 22, 2013
    Bangkok
    Another vote for the Gretsch Junior Jet 2202. One of the best sounding short scales out there and they are not expensive.

10. DB66

DB66

Aug 24, 2005
    Washington, D.C.
    Sometimes I bring a longhorn instead of hauling my upright for my swing band and it sounds great, fat, deep, and punchy. The sub drummer who is a heavy bebop player said it was the perfect bass for the gig. We do a lot of Sinatra. Super light plastic, so easy to play I kind of feel like I'm cheating.

11. JimFog

JimFog Supporting Member

Sep 8, 2000
    Phila, Pa
    Wow. Great ideas. Thanks!

I'm also adding that Gretsch 2202 to the list. What's the neck size/shape like?

12. Stranger Danger

Stranger Danger Feel Like A Stranger Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Texas
    Fender Pawnshop Mustangs are great for rock and blues.

13. Love the Longhorn!

14. Word.

+1

15. Uncle K

Uncle K The bass player doesn't get a sandwich Supporting Member

Aug 22, 2011
    Erie, PA
    +2

16. RED J

RED J Lol

Jan 23, 2000
    Dano, SG or Hofner?

Yes. :D

17. jonnybass1

jonnybass1

Dec 9, 2011
    Brampton, On
    There is always the Warwick Corvette SS. There are active and passive versions. It will do everything you want and then some.

Or my other choice would be the Squier VM Jaguar. It has classic rock written all over it. But you will need to upgrade the bridge pickup it is very weak.

Both do everything I want :)

18. jasper383

jasper383

Dec 5, 2004
    Durham NC
    +1 to the Gretsch Jet Bass suggestion.

I have this one:
    [​IMG]

Put TI Jazz Flats on it. Easy on the hands, and sounds great for the styles you are playing.

19. Chess_Key

Chess_Key

Apr 20, 2013
    I could not agree with this more. I had one that I refinished because it was beat to hell. It was just an exceptional instrument.

IMAG0352_zps1b1834ca.

Like an idiot, I sold it. I will be getting another soon.