1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Short scale four fretless

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Jisch, Sep 30, 2017.

1. I was contacted about building what is basically a bass kit. I'm doing all the major work, while the customer is doing final contouring, sanding and finishing.

30" scale lined fretless, bookmatch walnut front, chambered ash body, 3 piece tiger maple/walnut/maple neck.
    20170930_173146_zpshos2vuhs.JPG 20170930_173139_zpsasiytefs.JPG 20170930_173135_zps2utnlly2.JPG

2. Neck blank gluing up (workmate is awesome for this: 20171001_162225_zpsnjblo70k.JPG

Front is planed and glued
    20171001_162230_zpsbir2ojof.JPG

I just got a 50's era table saw and used it for the first time today to cut slots in the top and bottom of the back before running it through the bandsaw, it worked great.
    20171001_162234_zpsnqqg5ryh.JPG

It's been a month or so since I've made sawdust, felt great to get going on a project. Tomorrow I'll glue the ash up, plane it down, cut out the shape and start on the chambering.

mapleglo likes this.
  3. I got the back glued up tonight and the top sanded flat. I guess realistically this goes on hold until I get parts and order the fretboard.

4. I received all the parts to be installed. I laid them out just to see how things will fit. Blade pickup to be installed right against the base of the neck, the split P in the Music Man sweet spot. It looks like everything will fit nicely. I'll get some stuff drawn up and start cutting.
    20171006_090354_zpsvczwav27.jpg

20171006_090404_zps54qei6dq.jpg

moonshinegtrs and RBS_Johnson like this.
  5. Interesting. I never thought if a Charlie Christian style pickup on bass. I’ve got one in the neck of a Tele and it sounds great. Makes sense.

Mind if I ask where you got it?

RBS_Johnson likes this.
  6. The person who commissioned this sent it to me, I don't know where he got it. Sorry.

7. Beej

Beej

Feb 10, 2007
    Vancouver Island
    If there's any way to find out, I'd also really like to know. :) That thing is pretty and I'd have a use for one... :D

8. Beej

Beej

Feb 10, 2007
    Vancouver Island
    Actually, what I was most interested in was that the one in your pic above appears to be a p-90 or soapbar shape with the charlie christian style trim and blade in place. Or is that just an illusion? I have used cc riders before, but they usually have that unique hexagonal shape rather than the soapbar shape... :)

9. I went back through the initial discussions and the buyer describes it as "custom, rewound Mudbucker pickup", it was ordered from Vintage Vibe, that is the name that is stamped on the bottom. I'll check for particulars, but that's what I have in hand.

10. Beej

Beej

Feb 10, 2007
    Vancouver Island
    Cool thanks! I'll check around..

11. In re-reading this from yesterday it sounds like I'm not interested in helping figure out what pickups these are. I'll post up when I get an answer, I wasn't trying to be obtuse.

12. From the owner: The Vintage Vibe neck pickup is by Pete Biltoff - custom wound to look like a Charlie Christian but wound for bass.

13. Kelly robinson

Kelly robinson

Dec 30, 2014
    Hi all -
    The Charlie Christian style pickup is from Pete Biltoff at Vintage Vibe - it is wound for bass and done up in the CC style trim . I've forgotten if it's a single coil or not but I'll look it up later and report back here . Pete does very nice work and is very reasonable and quick in his turnaround . I also have another he rewound from a true mudbucker shell that sounds huge as a single coil . The CC blade one for this build I haven't really had a good audition of yet as the defretted Squier Mustang I tried it in had a very quirky sound { despite the Fralin P also in it ] due to my inept neck work . Which is also the reason for my asking John to help me out with this build . Thanks - Kelly

kkaarrll and Beej like this.
  14. 40Hz

40Hz Supporting Member

Definitely one of the more interesting builds I've seen in a long time.

Thanks for sharing! Can't wait to see how this turns out and sounds. Although I'm mostly a 34" scale player, I have a thing for short-scale basses. Got three shorties plus a 32" fretless. The 32" really surprised me because it worked out so well for me as a fretless. Which has since made me wonder if a 30" scale would work as well, or even better.

15. I got the body roughed out and the chambering planned out: 20171007_120347_zpsvnupjcbz.JPG

I love the side grain on ash:
    20171007_120424_zpsl9bctzdc.JPG

16. This is the third short scale I've made. I made one with a Danelectro Longhorn neck (29.5" scale) and this is the second 30" scale where i've made the neck. They are fun instruments to play, although I prefer a 34" scale for my regular instrument, just more natural for my reach (or more likely what I'm used to). I am surprised how good they sound even with these short scales though.

This song is done with the short scale (you'll notice I was having some distortion problems with the pickup, since swapped to a Quarter Pounder and it sounds much better).

17. Chambers and control cavity is done. I need to do some maths for the pickup locations. As usual I'll cut the holes big on the ash, then make the holes in the top perfect before I glue it up.

20171007_174018_zpsx4mlg4va.JPG

vvince likes this.
  18. Kelly robinson

Kelly robinson

Dec 30, 2014
    It's looking good John - and to further answer the questions about the blade pickup by Pete Biltoff of Vintage vibe pickups - it is a single coil design custom wound for bass use . Looks real pretty too !!!! Someone asked about hearing some sound samples and I will try to get some done once I finish the guitar up after John does the heavy lifting and sends the parts along to me . Kelly

19. Has anyone ever been disappointed with a fretboard from LMII? Whoa this thing is beautiful. Pau Ferro. Maybe it's the way my brain works, or paranoia, but I'd much rather work with the real thing than doing measurements, so this build should start cruising from here.
    20171013_102324_zpsze3u8wh0.JPG

RBS_Johnson likes this.