Short scale high tension strings.

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Finnigan's wake, Sep 3, 2017.

1. Hi there, i'm looking for some infos concerning the best strings for my short scale bass:

i used for many years the Rotosound (nylonwound) RS88S Short (65-75-90-115). A great feeling, good tension, i can set the action quite low. I love them but...

For tone reasons i need now something brighter, so i just tried the D'Addario ENR71S Half Rounds, with good results: still good feeling and easy slides (i put slides everywhere) a brighter tone and a nice tension: (tension chart).

Now i'm testing a set of SIT Power Wound extralight (40-60-75-95) ...
    AMAZING tone!!! These roundwound are the perfect thing for my Fenix bass: a bright, modern "clangy" sound, enough low end if i pluck the strings far from the bridge.
    The tone is perfect but the strings are really floppy wit a lot of awful buzzing.
    I must raise the action and this is bad.
    I find these strings really uncomfortable (very rough under my fingers).

So i need: 1) brightness, 2) tension, 3)feeling... Any suggestion will be really appreciated.
    And sorry for my very bad english.

2. SLaPiNFuNK

SLaPiNFuNK Inactive Commercial User

Jul 28, 2006
    LA California
    The Brains: FretNation.com
    How much tension? You can use a short scale bead set tuned to E standard if you want a lot of tension

Finnigan's wake likes this.
  3. this was my idea, but I don't know how much tension the neck can stand... (google translator)

4. Pier_

Pier_

Dec 22, 2013
    Roma, Italia

just buy a set of D'Addario in maybe steel (prosteel) or nickel (exl nickel) of the same gauge and tension...

D'Addario Strings : XL Nickel Round Wound : EXL170S Nickel Wound Bass, Light, 45-100, Short Scale

D'Addario Strings : XL Nickel Round Wound : EXL160S Nickel Wound Bass, Medium, 50-105, Short Scale

D'Addario Strings : ProSteels Round Wound : EPS170S ProSteels Bass, Light, 45-100, Short Scale

5. Bella fratè (ciao paisà)
    i wish to try something stiffer: something like 115-50 or more... there's something on the market?

6. well, i played with the D'Addario's string tension tool.
    I must find a set of stainless 130-95-70-50 to achieve a tension of +/- 40 lbs...
    Suggestions?

7. HaphAsSard

HaphAsSard

Dec 1, 2013
    Italia
    Nah, @Pier_ is against fat strings on a shorty. However, always the experimenter, I don't think he'll discourage you from at least trying for yourself. ;)

Short-scale BEADG sets exist, made for the 5-string Ibanez Mikro by DR strings and Ibanez. The DR ones would probably fit on your Fenix (32 inches of thick winding length) while the Ibanez-branded one might be too short judging from the package picture (the Mikro is an ultra-short bass with 28.6-inch scale); none of them appear to be available in Europe at a quick search. Also, high strings (.065 and .085) may be too tight not only for your taste but the integrity of the strings themselves.

What I'd do is order a custom 120-90-65-50 set from either Pyramid or Newtone if you want (nickel-plated or stainless steel) roundwounds, or try either one of the heaviest La Bella Deep Talkin' Bass flatwound sets — the 49–109 "Medium" 760FM or the 52–110 0760M (also known as "Jamersons" and "Original 1954") — in short-scale (-S) version if you want to try a well-regarded flat.
    Some dealers have the 760FMS available:
    http://www.stringbusters.com/Ko-Bespoke/productlist.asp?cat=1/BASS STRINGS/BASS STRINGS LA BELLA
    4 String Sets « Bass Strings « Bass Accessories « Bass « Electro Music
    LaBella Flatwound strings
    And this one has the shorty '54's:
    La Bella 4-String Original 1954 Short Scale Flatwound Bass Strings

8. Pier_

Pier_

Dec 22, 2013
    Roma, Italia
    IMHO, as mentioned by @HaphAsSard, big strings don't fit properly the short scale, soundwise, and I would not search for the "same tension" of a long scale bass.

also, IMHO, the "balanced" sets are not the best for a good setup. I explained it in a topic some days ago :D

I'd try a classic 50-105 set before jumping into strange and "balanced" sets. it's not only the string tension "at pitch" it's also the action, the setup and how they sound.

9. thanks, Pier
    i'll looking for a 105-50 to try.
    Thanks for your time

10. Pier_

Pier_

Dec 22, 2013
    Roma, Italia
    PS: I just bought a Gibson SG Faded (2010), it will arrive in a couple of days, and I ordered from Amazon the D'Addario EXL160S :D

you didn't tell us which bass you're using!

11. I have "Blondie" an old "mustangmaster" mustang3.jpg who plays nicely but i needed something modern... so...

... i found a bass i was looking for years: a short scale 24 frets with a single humbucker in MM position.
    More, he has a slim, fast neck and i love it!
    He's "Morris": a vintage Fenix SH Mk1, i replaced the stock humbucker wit a sweet Schaller Bassbucker. I also installed a 2-band preamp. Plays lovely, with roundwounds.
    fenix sh.jpg

I'm also building a Fake Alembic as well, with a Epi Eb0 neck:
    "The poor guy's bass" Fakembic half-building.

Pier_ likes this.
  12. update...
    in a drawer i found an old roundwound set, intended for a long scale. Some "rust" on it, anyway in good shape.
    If i remember well, are Dr DDT heavy or extra heavy... barely used... the E string is HUGE and the result exceeds my wildest expectations:
    -a LOT of tension, close to the 34" one
    -the neck needed a little work on the truss rod, little, a quarter of turn
    -and the sound... full, deep, bright, a LOT OF overtones wit a slight "chorus" effect.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2017
  13. second update:
    i checked the gauges and ONLY the E string is a DDT, a 125
    the other are unknown roundwounds, so i have this set:
    125-85-70-45... the tension is about 40-34-40-31 lbs.

14. Virgil

Virgil She's My Inspiration

Nov 30, 2005
    Dresher, Pa.
    MTD who now makes 30 and 32 inch short scaled Basses sell strings 40-120 gauge that are perfect.

15. HaphAsSard

HaphAsSard

Dec 1, 2013
    Italia
    Have you got a link to an online vendor for these, by any chance? Or is it a matter of contacting MTD directly? [I can't find a short-scale by them available anywhere (including their website), but I admit I haven't look that hard nor long.] Thanks!

16. Virgil

Nov 30, 2005
    Dresher, Pa.
    Contact MTD directly

HaphAsSard likes this.
  17. Virgil

Nov 30, 2005
    Dresher, Pa.
    Labella makes his strings.

HaphAsSard likes this.
  18. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 22, 2021