1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Short Scale LaBella Flats questions...

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by SoulReflection, Nov 13, 2018.

1. SoulReflection

SoulReflection Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2017
    NorCal
    I have a 2017 Mustang PJ and a 2017 Squier Jag SS. Looks like I have the following options for short scale flats:

760FX-S Extra Light 39-96
    760FS-S 45-105

I want the vintage/Motown sound and comfort in playing. Can anyone suggest what the differences would be and what would be necessary in the setup/intonation, if anything?

Thanks in advance!

2. shoulderpet

shoulderpet

Sep 24, 2015
    FS set will be a lot higher tension than the FX set that is very low tension, i personally prefer the FX set , also is much less stress on your basses neck but i like very flexible strings, your preference may be completely different to mine

SoulReflection likes this.
  3. SoulReflection

SoulReflection Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2017
    NorCal
    Thanks for that. I haven't played since the '60's so my preference is unknown/forgotten. Could you explain the difference between the two, considering I don't know the difference between high tension and low tension...think of me as a nubee! ;)! Thanks, I would really appreciate it!

4. shoulderpet

shoulderpet

Sep 24, 2015
    Tension is the physical pull on the neck, higher tension strings put more strain on the neck,, tension often affects the feel of the strings, higher tension strings tend to feel stiffer and lower tension strings tend to feel looser

SoulReflection likes this.