Short Scale, Low Tension, E - C Recommendation?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by LeonD, Jan 13, 2018.

1. LeonD

LeonD Supporting Member

I just took delivery of a Kinal Kompact 5. It's strung E to high C with DR Sunbeams .045 - .105 (I'm not sure what the high C is).

The tension seems a little high to me. What do folks recommend for a low tension feel for a short scale bass strung E - C?

Thanks.

2. SLaPiNFuNK

SLaPiNFuNK Inactive Commercial User

Jul 28, 2006
    LA California
    The Brains: FretNation.com
    If it has sunbeams on it you should measure and make sure it doesn't actually require medium scale. Once you figure out the actual length strings you need it would be best to look then... There are not many gauges available for short and even fewer for medium scale. Look at 4 string sets... Single high c can be a long scale string.

3. DaveAceofBass

DaveAceofBass Supporting Member

Feb 20, 2004
    Charlotte, NC
    My advice would be LaBella Copper (warm) or Gold (brighter) White Nylon Tapewounds. I don’t know if GHS Pressurewound Bronze comes in a short scale variety but if they do that’s another option, same thing for Thomastik.

4. DaveAceofBass

DaveAceofBass Supporting Member

Feb 20, 2004
    Charlotte, NC
    Sunbeams are excellent for electric bass but for the acoustic you should get something more for acoustic.

5. SLaPiNFuNK

SLaPiNFuNK Inactive Commercial User

Jul 28, 2006
    LA California
    The Brains: FretNation.com
    Only la Bella white and black nylon available in shorter scale. Copper and gold only in long scale now.

6. 77stingray

77stingray Supporting Member

Oct 6, 2010
    Atlanta
    Skjold Artist
    You could try TI flats- they are relatively low tension and I believe they have short scale.

DaveAceofBass likes this.
  7. TomB

TomB Supporting Member

Aug 24, 2007
    Vermont
    Is it really low “tension” (force exerted on the neck) or a soft feel you’re looking for. I’m pretty sure most round-core strings feel softer than hex core, regardless of tension. I’m pretty sure at least some DR’s are round core, as are other many others. I also know it’s more complicated than just this one dimension. Jason’s on this thread and he would know.

8. TomB

TomB Supporting Member

Aug 24, 2007
    Vermont
    Edit: If it’s really just lower tension you seek, feel free to ignore the last post :)

9. LeonD

LeonD Supporting Member

Thanks for all the input guys.

From the previous owner, here's what's on there:

DR_SNMR-45 DR SUNBEAMS Nickel Plated Steel Bass Strings - 4-String Set
    Style: Short Scale: .045 .065 .085 .105

He said he purchased them from BassStringsOnline. He only had the info for four out of the five strings.

I'm not particularly looking for an acoustic tone; more for a low tension/soft feel (I always thought they went hand in hand). The scale length of the bass is 30". I am familiar with Sunbeams and Hi-Beams on my 34" scale basses. They do have a round core and a soft feel. The Sunbeams on this new short scale feel VERY rough and high tension.

10. LeonD

LeonD Supporting Member

So I have a set of TI Jazz rounds (I think that what they are; they have green silk) I took off a different bass. Put them on my Kompact 5. Much more what I was looking for as far as feel. Acoustically, they sound ok; it's not really an acoustic instrument. I'll need to check them out amplified.

11. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 13, 2021