short scale neck for standard body!

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by jacove, Aug 2, 2005.

1. jacove

Apr 12, 2003
    Aalborg, Denmark
    Hi There,

I got one question for you Luthiers out there concerning a short neck for a standard size body....Let's say you got a standard 34" scale jazz bass, 20 fret neck. Will it be possible to make a repl. neck where the nut is moved to the exact place of the 1st fret. The place of the 2nd fret, then becomes the 1st fret and so on..basiccally you now got a few inches shorter neck with 19 this possible in the real world? :meh:
  2. Zebra

Jun 26, 2005

:D quick and easy.
  3. jacove

Apr 12, 2003
    Aalborg, Denmark
    Well, OK...guess, that's all I need to know....
  4. Suburban

Jan 15, 2001
    lower mid Sweden
    Why, YES!

Try it yourself: put a capo on any fret, detune and play. You'll find it works nicely!

If you prefer a theoretical check, search for 'fret calculator'. There have been a few published on this forum.
  5. jacove

Apr 12, 2003
    Aalborg, Denmark
    That was my thought as well! is it a YES or a NO!
  6. pilotjones

pilotjones Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2001
    Absolutely yes. As Sub said, it is the same as capoing at the first fret of a standard neck, and then tuning back down 1/2 step.

BTW using the first fret of a 34" scale neck as your new zero fret will give you a 32.092" scale.
  7. A9X

Dec 27, 2003
    Sinny, Oztraya
    Another way of looking at it is this; a 20 fret std Fender bass neck is the same length roughly as a 24 fret 30.75" (same as my Alembics). So you could get a 34" scale unlined fretless and fret it up for 24 fret 30-30.75", attach it to a standard aftermarket type body, eg Warmoth, that had been ordered without bridge and pickup routs, just the neck pocket and control cavity. Then measure up for the bridge (a two piece Warwick/ETS would aesthetically take up some of the 'extra' body length) and rout for the pickups where you want them. Less work than doing it completely from scratch and stuff like the neck pocket would be right if the body and neck came from the same supplier.
  8. FBB Custom

FBB Custom TalkBass Pro Commercial User

Jan 26, 2002
    Owner: FBB Bass Works
    If you put the nut where the first fret of a 34" scale neck would be, you'll get a ~ 32.125" scale instrument.
  9. jacove

Apr 12, 2003
    Aalborg, Denmark
    OK, thanks, guys..I think I'll try ordering such a repl neck.... :bassist: