Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Short Scale Neck on 34 Scale Body ??'s

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by RATZAX, Jul 22, 2005.

1. RATZAX

RATZAX

Oct 23, 2002
    Gales Creek,Or
    I have had a SX Short Scale Jazz Bass for a couple months. I LOVE IT.
    I would prefer to have a Full size P Bass Body. Since the Short Scale Jass Bass neck is 2 1/2 at the end or fret board it will fit on the Full Scale P Bass body. The distance from the end of Fretboard to the bridge Saddles on the Short Scale is 10 1/8 the same as it was on my USA P bass.

SOOOOO-if I just bolt on the ShortScale neck to the Full Scale body what sorts of problems might I have?

Please tell me none !

2. Nope can't do that! :D

The ONLY measurement that can give you the indications of whether this will work or not is to measure from the nut to the 12th fret on the short neck. That measurement applied from the 12th fret towards the bridge will tell you where the bridge should be. Mount your neck, measure that distance from the 12th fret and that will tell you what you need to know.

From experience, I'll tell you that the bridge will probably mount about 2" closer to the neck than the stock 34" scale but the actual amount is going to depend on the number of frets on the short scale neck.

3. Of course, you could always move the bridge, so long as the old holes either won't show or you're good and touch up paint jobs.

Another alternative would be to buy a P-Bass body blank and move all your components out of the one body and into the blank. Sounds like a fun project.

4. RATZAX

RATZAX

Oct 23, 2002
    Gales Creek,Or
    I am thinking of buying a SX P/J Bass and putting the neck on that . I have a Badass Style bridge I can throw on it and for $145 delivered I can live with a few screw holes in the body.

Geez- come to think of it I have been living with a few holes in my head for so long why not have a Bass to match?