1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

short scale necks

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Pennydreadful, May 13, 2006.

1. Pennydreadful

Pennydreadful Goin out West

Jun 13, 2005
    Arlington, Texas
    Does anybody know where I could get a short scale Fender replacement neck (ie a neck I could stick on a 34" scale Fender to make it 30" scale). I was thinking I could just buy a Bronco, since they're so cheap, and harvesting the neck, but I'd like to be able to get block inlays on it.

Any ideas?

2. oldfclefer

oldfclefer low ended

May 5, 2005
    Southern Ohio
    Without doing any research, I'm guessing that the Squiers are shorter.

Putting a 20 fret neck on a 30" bass could have tone limitations and might be a little tough to set up, but it sounds like fun anyway.

The best short scale basses I've played have had at least 22 frets.

Can I ask you why you are doing this?

3. Pennydreadful

Jun 13, 2005
    Arlington, Texas
    Well, I'm thinkin about either

1. Putting a short scale neck on my Geddy. (I just prefer a short scale).

2. Selling/trading in my Geddy and getting a Jag bass. The Jag is overall more my style (with all that retro chrome) and from what I hear it's similar enough to the Geddy to take its place, while adding that vintage style.

In either case, I wish Warmoth or somebody could make it for me so I wouldn't lose the cool block inlays.

4. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Here's the trouble: you will also have to relocate the bridge closer in toward the pickups. If you don't move the bridge forward the correct amount, the frets will all be in the wrong places.

5. eots

eots

Dec 18, 2004
    Morris, IL.
    Having read some specs on SX basses, the 34" scalers are 2 9/16" at the heel (too wide) but their short scalers are 2 1/2" (same as 34" fenders) although the heel profile might be different. Have you checked warmoth? They might be able to custom make one. Landing might be able to make you the whole geddy 30"er.
    I put a SX 'geddy' 34" neck on a p/j body and had to wallow out the neck pocket some.

6. Pennydreadful

Jun 13, 2005
    Arlington, Texas
    I emailed Warmoth before I started this thread, and they said they can't do it.

bongomania- as long as the truss rod and bridge saddles are properly adjusted, shouldn't I be able to get it intonated right? I don't understand why I'd have to move the bridge.

7. bongomania

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    Your bridge saddles only have about 1/2" of adjustment available, depending on the model. If you're putting a 30" neck on a 34" body, you need to account for about 4"! The frets are all relative to to the bridge- if the bridge is in the wrong place, the frets are meaningless.

8. Pennydreadful

Jun 13, 2005
    Arlington, Texas
    Well, I get that. Just...I dunno, because I'm pretty sure you can convert a standard scale guitar to a baritone without adjustments other than maybe filing the nut and the saddles. But, then, maybe you can't, and I was wrong about that too.

Anyway, I don't think I'd wanna mess with the bridge. I can get around well enough on a full 34" scale to not want to deal with all that.

9. RyreInc

RyreInc

May 11, 2006
    Kalamazoo, MI
    capo it!

10. bongomania

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    I think you can do this if you lose a few frets- for instance, if the body was designed for a 24 fret 34" neck, and you put on a 20 fret 30" neck, you won't have to move the bridge so radically. When you're trying to see if a certain neck will work with a certain body/bridge, just make sure the distance from the bridge saddles to the 12th fret is the same as the distance from the 12th fret to the nut.

11. Pennydreadful

Jun 13, 2005
    Arlington, Texas
    Thanks for the tip, Bongomania.

RyreInc- my guitarist once suggested I capo on a song where he did, and I told him that'd be like cheating to me- I mean, the notes are all there already. I'd get all kinds of hell if I did that. Besides which, that wouldn't do what I want.

12. Akami

Akami Four on the floor

Mar 6, 2005
    日本/Alyeska
    The only other way I can think of getting around what Bongomania is talking about would be another major undertaking; having the neck pocket routed deeper into the body.

Like he already said, you've got to get the neck and bridge closer, one way, or the other.

13. Pennydreadful

Jun 13, 2005
    Arlington, Texas
    Yeah, screw that, haha. Thanks for bringing that to my attention, guys. I mighta gotten myself into some trouble otherwise.