Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Short Scale Nightmare

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Joe Beets, Jan 31, 2005.

1. Joe Beets

Joe Beets Guest

Nov 21, 2004
    A little background first. I've been using D'Addario Chrome Flats on Precision and Jazz Basses for about forty years now. I've just given it all up for a MIJ re-issue Mustang Bass. I like this bass so much I'm going to order another one next week. The bass took four months to get here and in anticipation I stocked up on short scale Chrome Flats. But now I find out that with the string-thru-body bridge, the 30" scale strings are too short. I put on a set anyway and the cloth wrapped part goes almost to the first fret. By putting a cardboard match in the nut groove under the "E" string I got this setup to work. But I need to find some longer strings. There aren't any D'Addario 32" strings listed at Juststrings.com and the D'Addario website is totally worthless. Someone else must make a 32" scale string that sounds comparable. I tried a set of TI Flats on the Mustang and compared to the Chromes the low notes sound dead. So here is the question. Who makes a 32" scale flatwound that sounds like the D'Addario Chromes??? :rolleyes: :meh:

2. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    I have the short scale Musicmaster that is also string through body. I just use long scale chromes. No problems yet! YMMV.

P.S. How do you like the Mustang?

3. Joe Beets

Joe Beets Guest

Nov 21, 2004
    This bass is incredible. My crippled up old hands could sure have used a short scale bass long ago. I think with this bass I will be able to play for another twenty years. And the sound with the Chrome Flats is about halfway between a Jazz and a P. You can tell I'm in love. Are the long scale Chromes a little floppy on the Musicmaster?? I didn't think something like that would work. When I sold all my P-Basses I gave away 12 sets of new Chrome Flats, what a moron.

4. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    I don't remember them being floppy. I currently have TI Jazz Flats (short scale) on the Musicmaster and the chromes (45 - 100) on a medium scale Hagstrom. I actually bought the TI Jazz Flats for the Hag, but didn't like them, so I swapped between the Hag and the Fender. Note that the TIs work fine on mine (they are actually medium scale) but are very $$$

Is this what you have? http://www.samedaymusic.com/product--FEN253900 If the strings that came with it aren't floppy, the chromes won't be.

5. lyle

lyle Guest

Jan 10, 2004
    Vernon, B.C. Canada
    I did that once. It really sucks, but you get over it.

6. gapupten

gapupten

Dec 29, 2004
    You are right. D'addario does not seem to make a flat string set (chromes) that would fit. I stumbled onto this site which I found useful in determining which strings to buy.
    http://69.18.150.32/JDCDAD/DADFaqAnswer.aspx?ID=762

The only thing I could suggest is D'addario half wounds. They have the feel of flats, but are alittle brighter. And, more importantly, they are made in a medium size. They are D'addario product number ENR71M.

7. Joe Beets

Joe Beets Guest

Nov 21, 2004
    Thanks for the tips. Yes, that is the re-issue Mustang. It came with Fender round wounds on it. I played on them for about twenty minutes and then threw them away. The noise and raspiness is incredible. I don't know how those round wound guys can do it. :rolleyes:

8. lothar

lothar

Aug 1, 2004
    Did you find proper strings? I'm trying to find a set of flatwounds to my Mustang. I'm thinking of GHS' Brite Flats and D'addarios' Half-Rounds...

9. rbachman

rbachman

Jan 26, 2005
    Joe,
    I have a short scale Bealte bass and I have D'addario ECB81 Chromes on it.

They seem to work.

10. My friend has a musicmaster bass, and I know she'd like flats over rounds. I had no clue that regular 34" strings fit! I guess it's just finding the smaller gauge?

11. DemoEtc

DemoEtc

Aug 18, 2004
    Just did a search on the juststrings.com site using 32' instead of 32", and it seems that GHS has a whole bunch of sets for 32-33" basses. TI too.

The shortscale Roto Jazz's I got were too short for my Turser Beatle so I got the medium scale and they're okay.

Hope this helps