1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

short scale options

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Indiana Mike, Aug 27, 2012.

1. Indiana Mike

Indiana Mike

Nov 18, 2005
    I know this has been beaten to death ...

I am sitting in my living room and I hear "Iron Man" coming thru the walls ....

My 12 yo son has taken in interest in the bass...he already plays bass clarinet in school band and scored 2 points shy of perfect on a music test the school had them take a few years ago...

My jazz is a little big for him and he's a little careless with it so I'm thinking budget short scale ...

Leaning towards an Ibanez Mikro...

Any other options ???

Or point me to a thread???

2. mongo2

mongo2

Feb 17, 2008
    Da Shaw
    What did you start on?

3. Indiana Mike

Indiana Mike

Nov 18, 2005
    I was a little older and had my big growth Spurt already....

Hondo p bass then a fender p

4. Uncle K

Uncle K The bass player doesn't get a sandwich Supporting Member

Aug 22, 2011
    Erie, PA
    Squier VM Jaguar SS is a nice little bass. I've heard good things about the Ibanez too.

5. mongo2

mongo2

Feb 17, 2008
    Da Shaw
    Good point...chances your son will grow soon as well.

I don't think scale length matters all that much. My 12 year-old started on a 3/4 upright.

6. Indiana Mike

Indiana Mike

Nov 18, 2005
    I've got a 2006 fender classic '60s jazz in great condition and a schecter diamond p likewise ...

Would like to see them stay that way...

Guess I'm nervous the way he swings it around

7. khutch

khutch Praise Harp

Aug 20, 2011
    suburban Chicago
    I just recently noticed that GC sells Traveller basses, a brand I'd never heard of. I've never held or even seen one but they look interesting. They have two 32 inch models and a 30 inch ultra light. The first two have built in headphone amps and one of those has an aux in jack for playing to recorded music. All three have this goofy looking tuning system where the tuning pegs are buried in the body. They are meant to fit into the overhead compartment on an airliner so this unusual location eliminates the headstock length and makes the fit easier. It also allows all three to use normal long scale strings.

So, perhaps not what you want and certainly not a mainstream suggestion but perhaps worth a look over. Having a compact travel bass might be worthwhile weather your son sticks with it or not. And there might be times you'd prefer he used that headphone amp!

Ken

8. Hofner Ignition?

9. patplaysbass

patplaysbass Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 7, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    Soon-to-be-ex Musician's Friend/Guitar Center Employee
    +1 on the Squier VM Jag. I played one at GC the other day and it blew me away, I almost bought it on the spot. I think short scale would be good for your son to learn on; I have gigantic hands and it was really comfortable so you won't have to worry about him outgrowing it. Plus Jaguar basses will always look cool. And it's cheap, to boot.

10. George Mann

George Mann Banned

May 27, 2012
    Colorado
    How big are his hands? Does he have any trouble fretting your full-scale Jazz neck?

11. Indiana Mike

Indiana Mike

Nov 18, 2005
    it looks awkward for him ...

He should blow up anytime though

12. Stev187

Stev187 Peavey MegaBass Club!

Jan 11, 2011
    Toledo, OH
    +1 on the SS Jag. We got one for my son on his 10th birthday. He loves the thing and prefers it over the many 34" basses of mine that he can choose to play.

owen_gk_stack.

We love this thing. I've played it at gigs! Check out the threads on it; many report the J pickup to be comparatively weak (we find this, too). My son uses the P pickup only. The thing has a very solid P-bass tone.

--Steve

13. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    Wouldn't struggling to stretch for a long scale bass when he's small make him extra awesome when he grows into it?

14. George Mann

George Mann Banned

May 27, 2012
    Colorado
    That's what people told me, but nope. Hand size is important.

15. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    It seems logical though. I started when I was 28 so I don't really know. I wish I had chosen the bass in 7th grade rather than the flute.

16. Boot Soul

Boot Soul

Feb 10, 2009
    Gretsch makes an inexpensive solid bodied SS bass that sounds really good, and has a pretty high output for a passive instrument. It's the G2202 Electromatic Junior Jet Bass Guitar. A friend of mine has one that he got at GC for less than $250 out the door with a gig bag included. >>>
    http://profile.ultimate-guitar.com/profile_mojo_data/7/1/8/0/718037/pics/_c444306_image_0.jpg

Also, vintage Guild JS-II, and JS-I basses are great playing and sounding SS basses that can be found used occasionally for reasonable prices, as low as around $500 for one that is cosmetically beat up, but still sounds good. The older ones with the Hagstrom single-coils are more desirable and valuable, but the later model ones with Guild humbuckers are excellent too. I actually prefer the humbuckers, regardless of the great reputation of the Hagstroms, and the Hammon Darkstar pickups that were modeled after them.

b436052c. Guild-Humbuckersad.

17. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    Then again there's nothing wrong with shortscale. I have huge hands and 3 out of my 4 basses are shorties

18. fjadams

fjadams

Jun 7, 2011
    Danbury, CT
    Yep, another vote for the Squier SS Jaguar. Plays nice new with a setup, but then most basses need a setup when new, sounds good right out of the box, and the price is right. From the ones I've seen the red ones have the best finish and the silver not as good.

A second vote for the Guild JSII. The one I have plays very well, and the bass boost gives it all the low end thump one would want.

Others to look at: Gretsch, Epiphone (don't play too bad, but not enamored of the pickups), Hagstrom. There are others too. Don't be afraid to buy used, can usually find a little more bass for the money of a new one.

And yes I'm a SS fan. Have A Guild, Hagstrom, 2 Squier Jaguar SS, Epiphone Flying V, Gibson Thunderbird, Gretsch, Applause, Daisy Rock, Rogue. And they're all short scales.

19. Yep, another nod for the Jag SS.

I have small hands and the neck size makes my hands look big, and make it easy to play as well.

It's a fun little bass with a really great P pickup (J not so great, no big deal, I play the P 98% of the time) and you can get it for $160 +/-. The good thing is that it's a good enough bass that he'll never outgrow it.

20. NoiseNinja

NoiseNinja Experimental-psychedelic-ambient-noise-drone Banned

Feb 23, 2011
    Denmark
    You won't regret buying the Mikro.