Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Short Scale Piccolo Ideas

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by JES, Feb 11, 2006.

1. JES

JES Supporting Member

Hi All,

I'm looking for a lightweight, relatively inexpensive short scale bass that would do well converted to a piccolo. I'm thinking 30" would be ideal. What would you recommend?

It's been a few years and I've developed my own style on piccolo now but find some of the chording kind of painful on the 34" scale.

Thanks.

--JES

2. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    How about a Fender Mustang?

3. JES

JES Supporting Member

I thought those were supposed to weigh a ton (?)

4. MD

MD

Nov 7, 2000
    Marin Co. CA.
  5. Blackbird

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    I don't think so. Then again, what's light to me might weigh a ton to you...ymmv.

6. Wow! Your bass looks very cool Dave! I just PM'd you to ask you to check out my short scale six in the pics I posted in this forum,of my Nordstrand short scale.
    (Mine'll be standard bass tuning though...) By the way, I really enjoy your music!

Jim T.

7. dveeus1

dveeus1

Jan 7, 2001
    DFW, Texas
  8. psi

psi

Mar 11, 2005
    New Jersey
    My Kramer Duke makes an excellent piccolo bass. I just wish it had tighter string spacing.

9. SBassman

SBassman

Jun 8, 2003
    Northeast, US
    Depends what your budget is.

RondoMusic has short scales that can be turned into very good axes with pickup and tuner swaps.

10. JES

JES Supporting Member

Hey All,

Thanks for all the replies. While I admire all the high end stuff, since this is a bit of an experiment with the short scale, the stuff on the MusicYo and Fender Mustang level is closer to my price range. I may someday drop serious dough on a 5-string Sadowsky or Lakland or something, but I'll make sure to know what I want first. Sounds like now I've got to go see if my local Fender dealer has one in stock.

PS to Frank -- I googled Rondo Music but only found long-scale basses. They sure are cheap, though!

Best,
    --JES

11. SBassman

SBassman

Jun 8, 2003
    Northeast, US
    Here you go:

http://www.rondomusic.net/sjb62short.html

http://www.rondomusic.net/spb57short.html

I gigged with the Jazz Short Scale - after modifying it.
    Worked Great.

12. Blackbird

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    Dukes have regular scales and aluminum necks, don't they?

13. GSRLessard14

GSRLessard14 All-Things-Claypool Enthusiast

Jun 23, 2005
    Newington, CT
  14. SBassman

SBassman

Jun 8, 2003
    Northeast, US
    Those are beauties. Also, much bucks.

If you're GAS rises above low level :) , consider checking out my Landing Bass thread in the for sale section.

:bassist:

15. I've got a mustang which I was thinking of doing piccolo...

if you ask me, a Mustang, Musicmaster, Bullet (short scale version) or even squier Bronco would work ok for piccolo...(can you tell I'm a Fender guy...?)

16. Not bad...is it just me or does that Alaskan "Paul" guy look like he's escaped from a mental institution?

EduATX likes this.
  17. Yeah, sorry about that. I saw "piccolo" and jumped in before I really realized what you were asking.

Ironically, that bass started out as a cheapo experiment. I originally was going to get the cheapest one that Pete Hanewinckel could make me. Somehow, I ended up with the most expensive one. Haha. I have no self control. :)

- Dave

18. Blackbird

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    You should have started with the most expensive one and worked your way down. ;)

19. Andrew Jones

Andrew Jones Banned

Feb 28, 2001
    Northampton Mass
    Jes PM Sent

Also THis is Mine, Made from a USA Stu Hamm 32 inch scale

[​IMG]