1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Short scale recommendations

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Nancy1234, May 23, 2018.

1. Nancy1234

Nancy1234

Feb 9, 2011
    Denver CO
    Any thoughts on the fender mustang or other shorter scale basses for a woman? My first bass (more than 30 yrs ago) was a Gibson grabber. I mostly play a fender jazz but struggle on certain areas of the fretboard. I’m not that great of a player but I’ve been in love with the instrument - and it’s sound - since elementary school. I’d like to improve and am wondering if a smaller bass would be helpful. Thanks so much for any ideas!

2. The Gretsch Junior Jet is well-liked by TB'ers!

tvjer1, GonePlaid, JohnN and 13 others like this.
  3. Wulfensteiner

Wulfensteiner Banned

Mar 24, 2018
    Melbourne, Australia
    Beat me to it. That thing looks and sounds great, check it out on the 'tube.

tvjer1, GonePlaid, GoLeafsGo and 2 others like this.
  4. It might depend on you. Try an Ibanez Micro or GSR and see if it feels comfortable to play. Hand size, arm length and finger length will have a lot to do with your comfort level. They are commonly available in Guitar Centers, Sam Ash and lots of Pawn shops across the country. I have noticed a lot of the stores have been loading up on gear, getting ready for those Memorial Day weekend sales.

Justinvs, BDrums, GonePlaid and 6 others like this.
  5. IPA

IPA

May 5, 2010
    Reverend Dub King!

6. Spidey2112

Spidey2112

Aug 3, 2016
    Do you have a budget?

marcwhy, MattZilla and Nancy1234 like this.
  7. I sold my Mustang, it played and sounded ok but the electrical hum was just unsatisfying and I have no desire to modify my basses. You can roll the tone back and tame it, but I just didn't really like the bass. The Gretsch is a good bang for your buck. I think the best deal on a short scale right now is the Squier Jaguar SS, under 200 bucks and a great player. YMMV

8. Nebula24

Nebula24

Nov 23, 2017
    Norman, OK
    Love my eb0 but it's 1 pickup and its placement does limit sound/tone though it works great for me just garage rocking in my room...I haven't found a neck I like more (skinny necks for me!)

As others said Gretch is good too. Enjoyed one I tried but not enough to trade my eb0 for but might have got it if came across it first. Didn't like mustang. Too thick of neck. Didn't get micro cuz wanted something non ibanez as trading an old full scale ibby in that i never bonded with.

Still want to try an ignition club but I never see them locally.

Last edited: May 23, 2018
  9. felis

felis

Jul 31, 2013
    Midwest, USA
    A short scale could help improve your playing, but you'll have to decide that after spending some time with one.

Lots of threads here about short scales if you do a search. There's also a very long list of short scales in one of the threads.
    You'll find people who recommend most of the basses on that list.
    There are several versions of the Mustang, two currently produced and a few discontinued.

If you're looking for an inexpensive short scale, the Jaguar SS mentioned above is a solid choice, as is the Gretch.
    If you want to step it up a notch, you could go for the Mustang P/J.

SJan3 and Nancy1234 like this.
  10. jeff7bass

jeff7bass

Apr 9, 2009
    Don't mess around, buy a Birdsong!
    Birdsong

11. JIO

JIO Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 30, 2010
    Oceana (Pacifica) CA
    musician/artist/owner - Gildaxe
    My niece plays a cheap Squier Bronco in her HS Jazz band. I dropped in a Seymour Duncan pu, replaced the POS 2 saddle bridge with a standard threaded 4 saddle Fender bent-plate, installed nice old-style Fender tuners (retro-aesthetics) and set it up correctly for her. It's very light and her #1 bass (named "baby") I played it after setting it up - sounds like a standard P-bass, and anyone could easily gig it. (less than $200 invested) note; bass leaning next to her is her ss Squier Jag w/flats - also a very nice bass for very little coin. She uses both but prefers 'baby'.

fullsizeoutput_40.

AlexanderB, Templar, Border and 39 others like this.
  12. 40Hz

40Hz Supporting Member

A Gretsch Junior Jet would be my recommendation as well. Very well made and good sounding short-scale bass. And you can’t beat the price.

I’ve currently got five short-scale basses ranging in price from $200 (a used Junior Jet) to over $1000. And if you were to ask which one gets the most play and has the most verstile and useful range of tones, I’d say the Junior Jet (strung with GHS Pressurewounds) wins hands down.

Lots to like. Highly recommended.

13. Nancy1234

Nancy1234

Feb 9, 2011
    Denver CO
    Not necessarily ...

R Briere and Spidey2112 like this.
  14. Nancy1234

Nancy1234

Feb 9, 2011
    Denver CO
    Lots of great advice here! Going to check out the Gretsch (never heard of it before) and the Squier Jaguar SS for sure

EatS1stBassist and GoLeafsGo like this.
  15. Nancy1234

Nancy1234

Feb 9, 2011
    Denver CO
    I’ll check it out- thanks!

16. Nancy1234

Nancy1234

Feb 9, 2011
    Denver CO
    Ok first of all your niece is adorable! I haven’t played a Squier bass before but based on the advice from you and others, I need to!

EatS1stBassist, JRA and JIO like this.
  17. GoLeafsGo

GoLeafsGo Not Quite Right! Supporting Member

Oct 25, 2013
    Whitby Ontario
    I have both the Gretsch and the little Jag. both are great instruments. Had to make a few mods/upgrades to the Jag, but except for strings, the Gretsch is still stock. Bit more money than the Jag, but I would have to recommend the Gretsch. It is a blast to play, great sound, very well made too.

Nancy1234 likes this.
  18. Nancy1234

Nancy1234

Feb 9, 2011
    Denver CO
    Stock is very appealing to me. I can change strings but don’t like to do much beyond that or don’t have the skill set to make bigger modifications.

19. JIO

JIO Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 30, 2010
    Oceana (Pacifica) CA
    musician/artist/owner - Gildaxe
    :) Thanks - yes, she's great having chosen bass all on her own. (like I also did at her age) I'm serious Nancy - yes, there are cool ss basses out there for many times the cost of a Squier Bronco - the Reverend Mike Watt signature bass is one. But with the mods I made that bass plays easily and sounds every bit as good as a P-bass costing much more. Definitely worth checking out and you could probably score a barely used one for next to nothing.

A guitar shop could easily do these mods and for not much. Pretty much drop-in replacements.

20. salcott

salcott Supporting Member

Aug 22, 2007
    NYC, Inwood.
    My Serek Midwestern 2 is a great instrument, and probably the last bass guitar I will buy. That said, my Squire Jaguar SS, Epiphone EB0 and Dano longhorn are all perfectly useable guitars as well.

GranSportMan, SlimS and Nancy1234 like this.