Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

short scale/regular size basses

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by bassist4christ, Dec 28, 2005.

1. bassist4christ

bassist4christ Banned

May 26, 2005
    Is there anything differnt between a short scale bass body and a regular size bass body? Or is it just the size of the neck?

2. Greg Johnsen

Greg Johnsen

May 1, 2005
    Hickory NC
    doesn't matter, but I think a smaller body size for the short scale would balance better, but I think it's choice...

Greg

3. bassist4christ

bassist4christ Banned

May 26, 2005
    I just got a body that says it's a short scale, but don't know if I need a short scale neck or not. Any ideas where I can get a short scale neck?

4. teej

teej

Aug 19, 2004
    Sheffield, AL 35660
    Scale refers to the distance between the nut and saddles. For example, a 34" scale bass has 34" between the nut and bridge saddles. Tonally, there really isn't any difference between say a 34" and 30" scale. You will need to get a short scale neck. You COULD get a regular scale neck, but you would have to move the bridge back or forward, depending on the scale (back if the scale increases, forward if it decreases).

5. tjclem

tjclem Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 6, 2004
    Central Florida
    Owner and builder Clementbass

If it is made for a short scale neck you may find out that putting a long scale neck on it will have the bridge hanging off the back end of the bass. :rollno:

6. bassist4christ

bassist4christ Banned

May 26, 2005
    Where can I get a short scale neck from, CHEAP.

7. teej

teej

Aug 19, 2004
    Sheffield, AL 35660
    eBay is the only place I cn think of. You could try e-mailing Kurt @ Rondo Music to see if he has some short scale necks lying around.

8. bassist4christ

bassist4christ Banned

May 26, 2005
  9. ii7-V7

ii7-V7

Aug 4, 2002
    Baltimore, MD
    Woah, thats where I have to take a different stance. I think (and many others) that there is a big tonal difference between a 34" and a 30" scale.

Chad

10. Ed R

Ed R

Oct 25, 2005
    Huge difference in tone AND playability.
    I liek the shroter scales myself. Some people report some dlubbiness on teh obttom strings if they use the wrong size string and the wrong length string can be an issue too, but in general, a shorsccale bass with active eq or pickusp - or both- sounds killer.
    \McCartney's Hofner is short scale, the Rickenabackers are a litle shorter than Fenders.

If the positision for the bridge is already placed on your body, you coudl have problems mounting a shortscale neck to it if the bridge is positioned for longscale, and vice-versa.

11. petie-b

petie-b

Aug 24, 2005
    orlando, florida
    I have found that the short scale necks i have used in the past have been considerably narrower at the bridge end, and the mounting holes are usually closer to the end of the neck than on something like a standard fender neck aswelll.

The narrower neck will almost certainly have an affect on the bridge choice aswell because standard fender string spacing puts the e and g strings a little too close to the edge of the neck.

It would be well worth asking for the dimensions of the neck joint before buying anything.