1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Short scale Stingray!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BIGEJ2, Jan 24, 2019.

1. Swingin

Swingin Supporting Member

Apr 29, 2018
    Sweeeet, but how much? The newer stingrays have been a little pricey.

Bassist Jay likes this.
  2. HD007

HD007 Supporting Member

Jul 12, 2018
    I'd hope the same, but EBMM bumped up their now-discontinued passive models (Caprice and Cutlass) above the price of the Specials.

Bassist Jay, GregC and lowdownthump like this.
  3. Akami

Akami Four on the floor

Mar 6, 2005
    日本/Alyeska
    I'd be in for a short scale Sterling in a heartbeat.

4. who

who

Apr 20, 2007
    Washington DC
    With only three knobs, and one being a rotary switch, I'd guess that it is indeed passive.

5. lowdownthump

lowdownthump

Jul 17, 2004
    Time to start saving my $!!drool
    I wonder what the other finish option will be. I’m hoping for black with roasted maple neck.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2019
    Joe Nerve and HD007 like this.
  6. HD007

HD007 Supporting Member

Jul 12, 2018
    I'm saving up too. I'm SOOO down for this. Would love black and roasted maple. The little advert doesn't mention roasted maple neck, though?

lowdownthump likes this.
  7. iomamo

iomamo

Aug 16, 2012
    Wales
    Oof, that is gorgeous. Dare I say the proportions are even more pleasing than the long-scale.

8. Sweet I bet those will be a really top notch short scale, sounds like they did it right too by re-engineering the electronics. Price wise I'm afraid that they will be dangerously close to a custom Birdsong or Serek bass which will be difficult to rival in quality and sound

9. Notch Johnson

Notch Johnson

Jan 12, 2015
    Minneapolis
    EBMM build quality alone will make this worth checking out. I tried/owned a Spector shortscale last year that I didn’t gel with, but that had nothing to do with the build quality, guessing these will be in that same $ range, maybe a bit higher. I will absolutely give these a look.

Akami, HD007 and lowdownthump like this.
  10. tbone5567

tbone5567

Jun 26, 2018
    Plake and petch like this.
  11. tbone5567

tbone5567

Jun 26, 2018
    shortscale.

knumbskull likes this.
  12. tbone5567

tbone5567

Jun 26, 2018
    2019 SHORT SCALE STINGRAY BASS
    LIMITED
    The Ernie Ball Music Man Short Scale StingRay Special is a passive bass offering a big thumpy round sound in a convenient smaller package. The 30″ scale length allows for easier playability due to the shorter spacing between the frets. The body is made from ash, and the neck is constructed from hard rock maple with choice of maple or rosewood fingerboard. The Ernie Ball Music Man humbucking pickup has been specially designed for the short scale bass with higher output neodymium magnets, providing a warm signature tone. Electronics package includes a 3-way rotary switch featuring parallel, true single coil, and series modes. All three pickup selections can be augmented by a passive bass boost found by engaging a push volume pot. Like its big brother the Stingray Special, the short scale bass comes standard with a modern classic bridge, 22 stainless steel frets, and new lightweight Music Man tuning machines. Available in 2 finish options. Available September 2019 worldwide.

knumbskull likes this.
  13. knumbskull

knumbskull

Jul 28, 2007
    UK
    Great times for short scalers!

It will be interesting to hear how the Stingray sound works with a 30” scale. I’m thinking... more boingy...

RequiredName likes this.
  14. lowdownthump

lowdownthump

Jul 17, 2004
    Already posted in another thread. Hopefully mods can merge them.

15. knumbskull

knumbskull

Jul 28, 2007
    UK
    That design works really well with the shorter neck, huh!

lowdownthump and HD007 like this.
  16. knumbskull

knumbskull

Jul 28, 2007
    UK
    Wow, i didn’t even notice that first time. I wonder if that’s related to the tonal characteristics of SS, or just something new they’re trying.

HD007 likes this.
  17. yay passive!

18. This is one I could get into. I'm guessing the price will be pretty steep, however.

HD007 likes this.
  19. bovinehost

bovinehost Supporting Member

Dec 5, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: Ernie Ball Music Man/Sterling By Music Man
    shortscalestingray2019.

20. walking Bass

walking Bass Supporting Member

May 24, 2005
    Northern California
    Another contender, but wait 'til September? Some of us are old.

FunkyEel and RichSnyder like this.