1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Short scale Stingray!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BIGEJ2, Jan 24, 2019.

1. alaskaleftybass

alaskaleftybass Will Hanbury, Jr. Supporting Member

Mar 21, 2012
    Sitka, Alaska
    MM being more flexible than Fender, and more attentive to customer requests, I'm hoping will release a lefty version. There is no 30" Fender lefty available.

Heavy Blue likes this.
  2. jd56hawk

jd56hawk

Sep 12, 2011
    The Garden State
    Some nice Music Man colors at the show.

HD007 likes this.
  3. FunkyEel

FunkyEel

Dec 29, 2018
    Portland, Oregon
    Hmm. That EBMM bass made for Joe Dart also is passive. Wonder if it's the same pickup.

HD007 likes this.
  4. Bassist Jay

Bassist Jay

Dec 28, 2009
    Sterling, CO.
    Endorsed by K.B. Guitars, Nordstrand Audio Pickups, Von York Strings and Gallien-Krueger Amps.
    So the Caprice and Cutlass basses got axed for 2019? That’s a bummer. I liked them but they weren’t worth $2k or more. I even thought they were to high priced when they initially were released.

I know a short scale bass had been mentioned on their forum in the past and I think Sterling said they were working with St. Vincent on building a short scale bass but I thought they had said it would be a St. Vincent short scale bass, not a Stingray. If the St. Vincent short scale bass is no longer going to be a thing, I would almost bet they decided to make the Stingray their short scale option because the Stingray is their most popular bass.

If it’s also priced at $2k or more, that may be why they limited the number. If they can’t even sell 100 of them or it takes quite a while, then I wonder if that means they won’t do a mass produced model later?

Like someone else said, Nordstrand is also releasing a short scale bass. I am hearing it will sell for almost 1/3 of the cost of a short scale Music Man Stingray. Granted, it will be built in China, most likely, and not here in America but if I had to choose between the 2 basses, I would choose the Nordstrand. With everything that I have seen as options on those basses, you will get a lot more versatility out of them

If the Platinum Room Guitar Center closest to me gets a short scale Stingray in stock, it will be interesting to check out and see how it compares to a standard Stingray or whatever it is that they call the new, redesigned Stingrays that came out in 2018.

Akami likes this.
  5. Now, that's pretty cool! I like that a lot :)

HD007 likes this.
  6. amper

amper

Dec 4, 2002
    US
    They are not looking to capture the budget market with this model. This is aimed at all the aging bass players who have discovered the easy handling of short scale basses. I expect the pricing to be in line with their other professional level instruments.

HD007, lowdownthump and Akami like this.
  7. howlin

howlin

Nov 15, 2008
    I'm Not There
    The St. Vincent is/was to be 32" making it a medium scale bass FWIW.

Bassist Jay and Jeff Elkins like this.
  8. ale_vanlager

ale_vanlager Supporting Member

Jun 30, 2004
    Frederick, MD
    also, no more Sterling HS.... sad

lowdownthump likes this.
  9. okcrum

okcrum in your chest

Oct 5, 2009
    Verde Valley, AZ
    RIP Dark Horse strings
    Keep an eye out for an old Hagstrom I or II bass, or a Kent (made by Hagstrom). They come up relatively often and are inexpensive for a 1960s instrument. They have the Fender-style headstock.

10. groooooove

groooooove Supporting Member

Dec 17, 2008
    Long Island, NY
    i'm really happy short scale is becoming more popular on modern basses.

looks killer!

can't wait to see/hear what happens with these.

11. BIGEJ2

BIGEJ2 Supporting Member

Jul 29, 2009
    Happy Valley, PA
    Yeah, I’m digging that blue bongo.

jd56hawk likes this.
  12. cnltb

cnltb

May 28, 2005
    A passive stingray?!
    At last!!

Well...I am interested.

But wait...passive bass boost?!?!

13. Axstar

Axstar SUSPENDED

Jul 8, 2016
    East of Eden.
    A passive bass boost is impossible. In passive circuits you can only attenuate frequencies. It might be that, in un-boosted mode, there is some sort of tricksy passive band-pass circuitry that bleeds off bass frequencies and the 'boost' simply puts them back.

A few early Gibson and Guild basses had a switch that many call a 'bass boost', but in all cases this simply removed a passive HPF from the circuit; sometimes in conjunction with additional circuitry that bled off high frequencies.

My only other thoughts are that they could put a 'stealth' pickup down at the end of the neck, and the boost circuit simply dumps this in series with the bridge pickup. This would increase output and low frequency response, but radically change the tone of the bass.

dralionux and Akami like this.
  14. That is one attractive bass

15. 5 String PLEASE!

five7 and lowdownthump like this.
  16. shaggy45

shaggy45 Supporting Member

Sep 27, 2009
    Georgia
    Could always build a stingray preamp pedal and use it first in the chain. Won’t be the same but probably good enough.

17. My kids' college educations can wait...

18. Jscriv

Jscriv

Feb 3, 2017
    Tonawanda NY
    I wonder what the price point will be

19. GregC

GregC Johnny and Joe Gold Supporting Member

Jan 19, 2007
    Chicago
    $2K, see page 3.

20. Jscriv

Jscriv