1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Short scale Stingray!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BIGEJ2, Jan 24, 2019.

1. Graham Gould

Graham Gould

Jul 27, 2019
    UK
    I've got one on order in the UK (my local dealer has promised me one via EB rep.). Just waiting for delivery info.

Briton likes this.
  2. Briton

Briton

Apr 4, 2009
    London,England
    Don't forget to post a pic when you get it! Which colour did you opt for?

3. Graham Gould

Graham Gould

Jul 27, 2019
    UK
    Gone for the blue with maple fingerboard (but I've said I'll take whichever they can get) - as soon as I get it, it'll be my profile pic.

Briton, HD007 and MojoPenguin like this.
  4. Graham Gould

Graham Gould

Jul 27, 2019
    UK
    Just been informed that my bass is one of six that has been impounded by customs due to CITES regs. I'm gutted, I asked for one as soon as they were announced at NAMM last year. Apparently a few have got through to UK, I'm chasing one of these now.

Iofflight likes this.
  5. Green Knight

Green Knight Supporting Member

Oct 18, 2016
    My worst nightmare! What happens once impounded, can you get it back? Are you reimbursed? I live in Canada and tried ordering one through Sweetwater -- they wouldn't even ship it here.

6. MojoPenguin

MojoPenguin

Jul 11, 2014
    Europe Bro'
    Well CITES changed its rulings on rosewood this week, so that should solve it out. there are some in the UK you say, hmmm.

7. Iofflight

Iofflight Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2018
    What was the change?

ETA:
    Update: On Wednesday 08/28/19, the CITES convention in Geneva, Switzerland decided to exempt finished musical instruments, parts, and accessories from CITES restrictions on all rosewood species except Brazilian rosewood (whose protections predate the other rosewood species and remain in place).

However these changes won't take effect until Nov 2019.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2019
  8. Graham Gould

Graham Gould

Jul 27, 2019
    UK
    It never made it to my dealer, so I won’t lose any money. Just won’t get my bass!

9. Graham Gould

Graham Gould

Jul 27, 2019
    UK
    Should I have kept that quiet?

10. Iofflight

Jan 21, 2018
    I don't see why? I just posted the update which was from Reverb.com.

11. As I understand, EBMM ship their instruments generally as a multiple shipment to the
    UK distributor accompanied by a combined Cites Certificate listing each instrument by serial number. If they have impounded some they'll only have to be checked against the certificate, so
    should only be a delay whilst they go through the beaurocracy.

Imagine the fun they'd have had with an LE all rosewood neck Fender!!

Graham Gould likes this.
  12. Green Knight

Oct 18, 2016
    Ah, I misunderstood. Hope it resolves as per the posts re: CITES above!

Graham Gould and MojoPenguin like this.
  13. Graham Gould

Graham Gould

Jul 27, 2019
    UK
    Picked my bass up today. Well happy! 96D24F6E-62B2-4F8A-B228-A97B337BBDD4.

14. Scott Ball

Scott Ball Commercial User

Jun 13, 2018
    Ernie Ball Music Man
    Curious to hear your review once you've got some time with it!

Graham Gould likes this.
  15. I'm looking forwards to getting a Raspberry Pearl:bassist:

Graham Gould likes this.
  16. Green Knight

Oct 18, 2016
    How does it sound compared to a conventional Stingray? Any similarities or different beast entirely?

Iofflight likes this.
  17. Iofflight

Jan 21, 2018
    Yeah really interested to hear how it's sounding since there were really no demos at all.

18. JoeWPgh

JoeWPgh

Dec 21, 2012
    Just when I think I've conquered GAS, something like this comes along. GRrrrr

grrg63 likes this.
  19. JohnArnson

JohnArnson

May 28, 2019
    Looks intriguing, though the price point is way above what I personally will be able to afford, and if I was I think I'd chose the road of a budget custom build bass for that price instead.

Still I hope for the sake of diversity of choice for people looking for a quality short scale bass that they will end up putting something like this into permanent production, instead of it being a limited run, and ideally eventually end up making a more affordable version as well, like they have done with their regular 34" scale Stingray bass.

I can't say I set my hopes all too high for that ever happening though, since even if short scale basses definitely has become a much more accepted and popular choice when buying a bass, it is still somewhat a niche market.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2019
    Green Knight likes this.
  20. Scott Ball

Scott Ball Commercial User

Jun 13, 2018
    Ernie Ball Music Man
    @JohnArnson We are planning on adding it to the line permanently in 2020 if sell through is what we expect. I forsee a SBMM version at some point too.

GregC, BlacknWhite, Qlanq and 8 others like this.