Short scale string problem

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Mongeaux, May 21, 2004.

1. Mongeaux

Apr 14, 2004
    After getting my Allen Woody short scale bass I put on a set of Thomastik-Infeld short scale Jazz flats. For some reason these things only come in one size. 106 - 70 - 56 - 43. On my Jazz bass I used TI flats as well but they came in 100 - 70 - 56 -43.

The fat 106 E string is driving me nuts. It feels huge to me. Its like I'm playing a bass that has one GIANT E string and the other little strings are just there so godzillastring won't feel lonely.

Why the hell can't they make the short scale set the same gage as the normal 34" scale set.

It crossed my mind to buy a size 100 E string and just cut it down but I'm worried that I would not be able to get enough raps on the post.

I see Rotosound makes a short scale flat set. 90 - 75 - 50 - 40.
    Only thing is I hear they have really high tension so I expect that would make them hard to play on even tho they are low in gage.
  2. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    Short scale basses *tend* to have a flabby E string. The .106 helps to tighten it up. Keep playing. I found the same thing when I started and soon got used to it.
  3. RicPlaya

Apr 22, 2003
    Whitmoretucky MI
    Dr's make them in the sizes your looking for. The highbeams or Lowriders are my personal fav's.
  4. rllefebv

Oct 17, 2000
    Newberg, Oregon
    My Musicmaster, Longhorn, and Beatle copy all wear D'Addario EXL170S... .045, .065, .080, .100

5. Mongeaux

Apr 14, 2004
    Hmm, I guess I will give the TI flats a few weeks and if I still don't like the E I will try one of those other sets. I did not plan on putting round wound strings on this bass but in the end I might have to.

Short scale + Ampeg B100R + Flat strings = Really cool sounding tone but I don't think it will cut thru live.

I need to run myself down to one of the local open Blues jams and test the setup out.

The TI flats on my jazz bass cut thru with no problem.
  6. Funkize you

Funkize you Guest

Nov 4, 2003
    Westminster Ca.
    Thats how a 5 string Feels.
  7. Don't worry about cutting strings down. The way I do it is to make the 90-degree bend in the string about 4 inches past the tuning post, then cut it 1/2 inch after the bend, that always gives me at least 3 wraps on the E.