1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

short scale string reviews and opinions

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by tony moore, Apr 13, 2010.

1. i have a few short scale basses (dearmond starfire, hagstrom swede and f-400) and it's time to change strings. i'm only familiar thomastik jazz flats and labella black tapewound.

can anyone share their review or opinions on other short scale strings?

thanks!

tony

2. mongo2

mongo2

Feb 17, 2008
    Da Shaw
    To me D'Addario Chrome and Labella flatwound shorts sound like their longer cousins.

3. ::::BASSIST::::

::::BASSIST:::: Progress Not Perfection.

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    +1

Chromes seem to be the best since they have more tension than the Labellas... but I really like the Labellas too.

4. For round wound I wouldn't use anything less than a .40-.100 set. If you like higher tension, then D'Addario has a set of .45-.105 XLs that are really punchy. GHS Pressurewounds are really good sounding, but are a little on the floppy side.
    I had a set of D'Addario half rounds on my short scale SX Jazz Clone fretless, which sounded really thick and felt just right in the middle tension wise. I am considering putting a set of Chromes on it next.
    I try to avoid using .40-.95 sets due to the floopy factor, but SIT makes a set in that gauge in nickel (powerwounds is what I think they are called) that are really great.
    GHS and D'Addario make a wide selection of short scale bass strings, and the best place I have found to get them is a www.bpstrings.com. Bob is really a great fellow, and can get them if he is out quickly, but usually has them in stock.

5. greggster59

greggster59

Oct 31, 2006
    New Jersey
    I've mostly used Alembic Compression Wound (45-105) on my Rumblekat. Nice tone, easy on the fingers and last a long time.

Currently trying out Ken Smith Rounds (similar gauge). I like them also though not as much as the Alemebics.

Birdsong Cortobasses come loaded with Curt Mangan Rounds but I haven't tried them.