Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Short scale strings for an ET-280

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Terry_f, Dec 28, 2003.

1. Terry_f

Terry_f

Oct 16, 2002
    Sudbury
    This is my first post here, I've just been reading up until now. But I need help, I bought an Epiphone ET-280 from a friend and I don't know what strings to use. On it there is a set of EB Slinkys but the E string is a little lose and doesn't have a great sound. I was wondering what people would recomment would work well on a short scale bass (30 1/2") for just fingered and picked styles, no slapping or popping.

Also, I was wondering if there were any recommendations for stringing it with normal strings (I tried with an old set of rotosounds I had and they just broke the inner wire).

2. Check out the
    D'Addario XL170 Bass Strings - I use them on my 61 Hofner and they sound and feel great.

You might also check inti Thomastik -Infield Strings, they come in all scales.

http://www.connollyandco.com/

3. DW

DW

Jun 22, 2000
    Remember that string tension on a short scale is noticeably less, and if you don't compensate by putting heavier strings on, you will often have intonation problems, not to mention a floppy E. The short scale GHS Boomer .050-.107 set and the GHS Brite Flats .049-.108 set are big enough. Some manufacturers don't understand this and offer .040-.095 sets or similar, don't buy 'em or you'll have problems. I'd be real hesitant to put less than a .105 E on a short scale.

As far as cutting down a long-scale set, well, there's always a risk of breakage, as you found out, but some people do it all the time.