1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Short scale strings for an ET-280

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Terry_f, Dec 28, 2003.

1. Terry_f

Terry_f

Oct 16, 2002
    Sudbury
    This is my first post here, I've just been reading up until now. But I need help, I bought an Epiphone ET-280 from a friend and I don't know what strings to use. On it there is a set of EB Slinkys but the E string is a little lose and doesn't have a great sound. I was wondering what people would recomment would work well on a short scale bass (30 1/2") for just fingered and picked styles, no slapping or popping.

Also, I was wondering if there were any recommendations for stringing it with normal strings (I tried with an old set of rotosounds I had and they just broke the inner wire).

2. Check out the
    D'Addario XL170 Bass Strings - I use them on my 61 Hofner and they sound and feel great.

You might also check inti Thomastik -Infield Strings, they come in all scales.

http://www.connollyandco.com/

3. DW

DW

Jun 22, 2000
    Remember that string tension on a short scale is noticeably less, and if you don't compensate by putting heavier strings on, you will often have intonation problems, not to mention a floppy E. The short scale GHS Boomer .050-.107 set and the GHS Brite Flats .049-.108 set are big enough. Some manufacturers don't understand this and offer .040-.095 sets or similar, don't buy 'em or you'll have problems. I'd be real hesitant to put less than a .105 E on a short scale.

As far as cutting down a long-scale set, well, there's always a risk of breakage, as you found out, but some people do it all the time.