Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Short scale strings... help!

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by dreadhead, Jan 4, 2003.

1. dreadhead

dreadhead

Feb 1, 2002
    Europe
    Hello! I'm going to get my first short scale bass, and before I get it I would be happy to find a good set of strings for it.
    I did search for the right post, but I didn't find the right answer... I'm looking for 040 or thinner strings for a short scale bass. Stainless steel would be great, but nickel would be nice too... please let me know what brand makes them!
    I know all the tension trouble that thin strings could create on a short scale bass, but I don't want to buy long scale strings and cut them!

THanx

2. tuBass

tuBass

Dec 14, 2002
    Mesquite, Texas
    Fender makes a extra light short scale set, the G string is .40, but they are nickel.
    Check out the rotosounds in this link. I think they are what you want.

just strings web site

Mark
    which short scale are you getting? If it's the bronco or the mustang, it will come with the fender strings already on it.

3. dreadhead

dreadhead

Feb 1, 2002
    Europe
    Well, to be truthful I just hate Fender strings... Rotosounds are nice but they last less than a week... ;)
    I'm going to get an Alembic Series I! :D :D

4. tuBass

tuBass

Dec 14, 2002
    Mesquite, Texas
    I know what you mean. I hated the fender strings too, but because they were too rough for my son's hands. He has GHS brite flats on there now.

Here are a couple of more possibilities for you.

Labella light strings

labella extra light

I used labella hard rockin' steels on my 5 string for a little bit, they are pretty good, but very brite. The deep talkin' set would probably be a little richer.

5. dreadhead

dreadhead

Feb 1, 2002
    Europe
    ... thanx a lot! I've never played those strings, I'll try to find them out!
    It's strange, I did search on that site for "short scale bass 040" and I didn't find these strings! I'm confused ;)
    I guess that DR Low Riders or D'Addario XLs are not available in short scale configuration... :(

6. tuBass

tuBass

Dec 14, 2002
    Mesquite, Texas
    well, you wouldn't have found them because neither is .040. one is 039, and the other is 036.;)

I'd like to hear more about your alembic, maybe you could post some information about it. Why short scale? Those basses have always interested me because they make a 5 or 6 string short scale. They are the only ones I know of that do that. I can't imagine what a 30" b string would feel like, but knowing Alembic, it's probably pretty good or they wouldn't do it.

Mark

7. dreadhead

dreadhead

Feb 1, 2002
    Europe
    ... I'll probably feel funky with a smallest bass on my chest (I'm about 187cm) but I'm a biggest Stanley Clarke's fan and I've found this bass after more than a year of hard research!
    I'll get my hands on it thursday, I'm so excited!!
    This is the first Alembic I own, so I can't answer your questions, sorry! I've played a 32" bass and it did feel a lot better than a standard 34"... I guess a 30.75" will be great for my playing style! I do a lot of slap and solos, and I was looking for a sharp, modern tone.

8. tuBass

tuBass

Dec 14, 2002
    Mesquite, Texas
    Someday I'll have to post a picture of me playing my son's bass. I'm about 203 CM, (6'8" in imperial measure) so I really look like a giant holding a short scale.
    I like the short scale feel for many things, but that's a ton of money to drop if you have never even tried a short scale bass! Would it be the same price to get an alembic in medium scale?

Mark

9. dreadhead

dreadhead

Feb 1, 2002
    Europe
    I'm going to get the bass used... I'm a student and I can't afford a brand new Series I (that lists for $7,700.00!!!) :(
    However I guess your pic would be just nice... please post it!! :D

10. malthumb

malthumb

Mar 25, 2001
    The Motor City
    Alembic Spoilers and Distillates pop up on eBay all the time. Most of them are 32" scale. They can be had for $900 - 1,800, depending on condition and whether or not there's a lot of bidders. Occasionally a short scale or medium scale Series I will pop up. They tend to go $1,800 - 2,500, again depending on condition and seller's motivation.

The picture in the top left of this montage shows an Alembic Stanley Clarke Signature I used to own (30.75" scale) and a Series II that I used to own 32" scale. Both were really cool and excellent sounding basses.

[​IMG]

Peace,

James

11. dreadhead

dreadhead

Feb 1, 2002
    Europe
    James, I just love the Series I on the right of the pic!!! :D

12. malthumb

malthumb

Mar 25, 2001
    The Motor City
    Actually, it's a Series II. (I corrected it in my post). Funny thing is, when Mica started the Alembic Club she posted a picture of it and called it a Series I. I sent her an email and she corrected it. Now I've done the same thing:p

Peace,

James

13. malthumb

malthumb

Mar 25, 2001
    The Motor City
    By the way, Armando, I always used D'Addario XL and DR High Beams on the short scale Alembic. They weren't too hard to find. If I find some around the house I'll let you know and you can have 'em for postage. I don't have any short scale basses anymore and probably won't be getting another (never say never).

Peace,

James

14. dreadhead

dreadhead

Feb 1, 2002
    Europe
    No offense, James... ;)

However it's the best looking bass in your collection! :D
    I'll probably look odd with a little Stan on my chest... I'll post a pic soon!:)

15. malthumb

malthumb

Mar 25, 2001
    The Motor City
    No offense taken. It was MY mistake in the original post. I didn't pick up on it until I read your reply, then I went back and corrected it.

Funny thing about that "collection" The only thing I still have from the upper left hand picture is the keyboard. The amp and all three basses in the picture were sold to fund the other two basses pictured on the page.

Peace,

James

16. dreadhead

dreadhead

Feb 1, 2002
    Europe
    Thanx a lot, James! The problem is that I was looking for 040 or thinner strings! :D
    This is the reason for which I don't find what I was looking for... I have huge hands but I play really really gentle... even my slap is a light touch of thumb...