Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Short-scale strings -- not if you go through body

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by millard, Jan 9, 2005.

1. millard

millard

Jul 27, 2004
    SoCal
    Since I have a Fender Mustang short-scale bass, I ordered several short-scale sets to try on it. Put the first one on and the outer windings of the E and A strings didn't reach the nut. Needless to say, they didn't sound that good.

Thinking that it might be a fluke, I opened a second set and layed the E next to the E from the other set -- still too short. Feeling out of sorts (it's raining here in SoCal), I actually get out a ruler and measured my scale length.

All I can figure is that the bridge is kinda long (a fair distance from where the string enters the body and crosses the roller) and the distance is exacerbated by through-body stringing. So my short-scale bass needs medium-scale length strings.

If anyone can really use short-scale strings, send me a message. If you'll cover the postage, you can have the sets I've opened but never used, assuming JustStrings doesn't take pity on my. Both D'Addario, one half-round and one medium gauge nickel.

Millard

2. Johnny Alien

Johnny Alien Supporting Member

Jan 24, 2003
    Harrisburg, PA, USA
    PM sent

3. gapupten

gapupten

Dec 29, 2004