1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, remove most ads and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Short-scale strings -- not if you go through body

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by millard, Jan 9, 2005.

1. millard

millard

Jul 27, 2004
    SoCal
    Since I have a Fender Mustang short-scale bass, I ordered several short-scale sets to try on it. Put the first one on and the outer windings of the E and A strings didn't reach the nut. Needless to say, they didn't sound that good.

Thinking that it might be a fluke, I opened a second set and layed the E next to the E from the other set -- still too short. Feeling out of sorts (it's raining here in SoCal), I actually get out a ruler and measured my scale length.

All I can figure is that the bridge is kinda long (a fair distance from where the string enters the body and crosses the roller) and the distance is exacerbated by through-body stringing. So my short-scale bass needs medium-scale length strings.

If anyone can really use short-scale strings, send me a message. If you'll cover the postage, you can have the sets I've opened but never used, assuming JustStrings doesn't take pity on my. Both D'Addario, one half-round and one medium gauge nickel.

Millard

2. Johnny Alien

Johnny Alien Supporting Member

Jan 24, 2003
    Harrisburg, PA, USA
    PM sent

3. gapupten

gapupten

Dec 29, 2004