Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Short scale strings

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by 4string4ever, Dec 22, 2004.

1. 4string4ever

4string4ever Guest

Apr 18, 2004
    Orlando, Florida
    What would happen if you used long scale strings on a short scale bass? The strings I prefer do not come in a short scale, and I'm considering acquiring a 32" scale Alembic Persuader.

2. Offbase

Offbase

Mar 9, 2000
    "short" scale is 30". 32" = MEDIUM scale. It's fine to use long scale strings on a medium scale bass. I've done it for years, and I've specifically done it on Alembic 32's.

3. 4string4ever

4string4ever Guest

Apr 18, 2004
    Orlando, Florida
    I stand corrected.....medium scale it is.

4. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    I have used long scale strings on my short and medium and long scale basses with no problems.

5. 4string4ever

4string4ever Guest

Apr 18, 2004
    Orlando, Florida
    Did you ever notice a difference in string tension between the different scales, assuming you used the same strings on all?

6. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    The only strings I have had on all three are chromes, which are high tension. I also tend to use thicker strings (esp. the E). Note that many short scale sets have a large E. e.g. TI Jazz flats have .106.

But to answer the question: the strings are less tension on the short scale, not really noticable on the medium. Where you get in trouble on the medium scale is when you try to tune down.

However, on my medium scale Hagstrom I am currently very happy with a set of chromes 45 to 100. I have also had good success with 50 to 105.

7. bargainhunter

bargainhunter

Jul 28, 2004
    Victoria
    Hagstrom made some medium scale basses???