1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, remove most ads and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Short scale strung BEAD ?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by superfly, May 2, 2005.

1. superfly

superfly

Aug 4, 2004
    Anyone here ever setup and strung a shortscale bass to BEAD tuning? If so, how did it work out? What were the specifics? ( type of bass,strings, gauge, etc..)

2. xyllion

xyllion Commercial User

Jan 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA, USA
    Owner, Looperlative Audio Products
    I've never done it, but if you do, I would go with fairly thick strings.

3. based on how the scales are longer on the B or thicker strings on fanned fret basses I would think that would be a bad idea to have a short scaled B string, save up ur peniies for a 5 if all u have is a short scale to attempt BEAD IMO

4. honestjohnny

honestjohnny

Nov 24, 2006
    I am thinking of setting my SX short-scale P up for BEAD tuning. Right now I have a .110-.050 set on and LaBella has a 5'er set that is .128-.041. I would naturally toss the high string. What I'm wondering is whether this would damage the structural integrity of the bass or not. I string through the body so long or standard scale length is no problem. Should I go with a heavier gauge? And yes, I am aware that tension will not be as tight as on a 35" bass. Thanks.

5. Slade N

Slade N sunn #91 AZ Bands #?

May 28, 2005
    az
    i tried it last month. at first i just tuned down, it was ok but string tension was lacking. very inconsistant string to string and floppy....so i got a 5string set....the 130 B was too thick to wind properly and broke right away....my suggestion is to find the thickest and highest tension string for made a short or med scale 4.

6. knuckle_head

knuckle_head Commercial User

Jul 30, 2002
    Seattle
    Owner; Knuckle Guitar Works & Circle K Strings
    I did the math for someone that has a 30" scale bass and the gauge appropriate for the task turns out to be a F# string for a 34" scale instrument. The gauge appropriate for his E was .120 to .125.

While I haven't done the tension calculations for, say, a 32" scale bass I suspect that it would fall in the .160 range if you want reasonable tension on that B - this is only a guess on my part.