Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Short scale strung BEAD ?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by superfly, May 2, 2005.

1. superfly

superfly

Aug 4, 2004
    Anyone here ever setup and strung a shortscale bass to BEAD tuning? If so, how did it work out? What were the specifics? ( type of bass,strings, gauge, etc..)

2. xyllion

xyllion Commercial User

Jan 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA, USA
    Owner, Looperlative Audio Products
    I've never done it, but if you do, I would go with fairly thick strings.

3. based on how the scales are longer on the B or thicker strings on fanned fret basses I would think that would be a bad idea to have a short scaled B string, save up ur peniies for a 5 if all u have is a short scale to attempt BEAD IMO

4. honestjohnny

honestjohnny

Nov 24, 2006
    I am thinking of setting my SX short-scale P up for BEAD tuning. Right now I have a .110-.050 set on and LaBella has a 5'er set that is .128-.041. I would naturally toss the high string. What I'm wondering is whether this would damage the structural integrity of the bass or not. I string through the body so long or standard scale length is no problem. Should I go with a heavier gauge? And yes, I am aware that tension will not be as tight as on a 35" bass. Thanks.

5. Slade N

Slade N sunn #91 AZ Bands #?

May 28, 2005
    az
    i tried it last month. at first i just tuned down, it was ok but string tension was lacking. very inconsistant string to string and floppy....so i got a 5string set....the 130 B was too thick to wind properly and broke right away....my suggestion is to find the thickest and highest tension string for made a short or med scale 4.

6. knuckle_head

knuckle_head Commercial User

Jul 30, 2002
    Seattle
    Owner; Knuckle Guitar Works & Circle K Strings
    I did the math for someone that has a 30" scale bass and the gauge appropriate for the task turns out to be a F# string for a 34" scale instrument. The gauge appropriate for his E was .120 to .125.

While I haven't done the tension calculations for, say, a 32" scale bass I suspect that it would fall in the .160 range if you want reasonable tension on that B - this is only a guess on my part.