1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Short scale to full size conversion?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by dudeonthebass, Apr 22, 2010.

1. dudeonthebass

dudeonthebass

Jul 2, 2008
    St.Osyth
    Would it be possible to say get a put a p or jazz bass neck on a Fender (Squier) Musicmaster bass

Would it fit, or would there be problems?

Dave :)

2. Fit is not the primary issue - scale length is. The bridge placement has to be correct for the scale length of the neck. The bridge placement is not correct, so intonation will be a mile off and every fret on the neck will play the wrong note. Best to keep it as intended, and if you want a full scale bass, get one.

3. dudeonthebass

dudeonthebass

Jul 2, 2008
    St.Osyth
    Well that being the case, is there a tonal difference between a short scale and a long scale ?

4. You can expect a full range of answers ranging from "No difference, they sound heavenly and can play any music ever written" to "Short scale sucks, if you play one you will fall into a large crack in the earth and be damned forever." ;)

My position: any difference is so slight that it doesn't matter. I own a number of short scale basses and play them interchangeably with long scale basses.

My suggestion; go play some, and make your own decision. That's what it always boils down to.

5. GassieBall

GassieBall

Oct 15, 2006